Do I need to replace my chainset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shooter999

image.jpeg
Hi everyone,

I've just ordered a new chain, which was .75 worn (used measuring tool).

Can you knowledgeable people, let me know if I need to replace my chain ring / chain set?

Thanks for all replies

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Looks ok to me.

You only need to replace chain rings if the chain starts skipping on the teeth. The alloy rings won't damage the steel chain even if they are worn so it's a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

OP
OP
S

Shooter999

Thanks for prompt reply.

Chain isn't skipping, but I don't understand what people refer to when they mention shark teeth and chainring!!

You might need to replace your cassette if you've been running it with a stretched chain, it very unlikely you'll have to replace chainrings.

Chains don't skip on chainrings, only on sprockets (at the rear). This is because the chain enters the chainring under tension and the sprocket under slack. It is forced onto the chainring no matter how poor the fit. This manifests as a subtle vibrating noise that the seasoned rider will recognize for what it is and the novice not.
Once the chainring teeth have worn way beyond the shark fin and shark tooth stage, the tips will wear down rapidly and eventually the chain will just slide over the top, but none of the photos have even come near that stage.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bear in mind the teeth are meant to be different shapes to aid shifting.
On modern chainsets like the OP but not vintage?

Isn't the best way to see if a chain ring is worn to pull a new chain over the ring and see if you see daylight at the top/bottom between chain and ring because the front teeth have worn down so the ring pitch is too long? There's probably pictures somewhere on www.SheldonBrown.com

You can run new chains on worn rings but it'll wear the chains quicker.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On modern chainsets like the OP but not vintage?

Isn't the best way to see if a chain ring is worn to pull a new chain over the ring and see if you see daylight at the top/bottom between chain and ring because the front teeth have worn down so the ring pitch is too long? There's probably pictures somewhere on www.SheldonBrown.com

You can run new chains on worn rings but it'll wear the chains quicker.
Alloy rings won't wear a steel chain.

Mile195

Veteran
I get through a chain once every 3-4 months or so and do 3 or 4 chains to a cassette.
I've changed my large chainring twice in 6 years - the first time I ruined it by running a stretched chain far, far too long when I first got the bike and hadn't really started thinking about maintainence properly. The second time I changed it because a couple of teeth had broken off - I'm still not sure how this happened...
I've never changed the small chain ring.

Yours both look like they have loads of life left in them.

Top Bottom