Do I need to spend £500+ on my first hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorBisho

Hey everyone. Apologies if this isn't the place to post but I'm taking the plunge with bike commuting (an eight mile round trip) in the next few weeks in an attempt to lose the belly and save some money, and would love some advice.

I went into Evans and spoke to some very helpful chaps that recommended the Pinnacle Neon Three hybrid for £549. I know next to nothing about bikes these days, as I haven't ridden more than a mile or two in the last fifteen years, but I got the impression it was one of their better spec models for newbies (although I realise they were upselling their own brand).

However, having done some research in the last few days, there's a newer model coming out early next month - the Pinnacle Neon Three 2012 for a whole penny more at £550. I returned to the shop and asked if it was worth hanging on for the new one (or to get the old one cheaper) but the assistant said the old one was actually a better spec (mentioning disc brakes over V-brakes). I'm not sure I believe that he's telling the truth over getting a sale before the new model comes out though - is that assessment something you knowledgeable folk would agree with?

Also while searching on here for general info, I discovered this recent thread about £300 hybrids and now I'm thinking I could probably get away with getting a cheaper one like the GT Transeo 3.0 or something.

So I guess my questions would be whether it's worth waiting for the newer model of the Neon (Evans don't think so), and if I need to spend over £500 when there seem to be perfectly good ones for a LOT cheaper, and if that's the case, would anyone have a recommendation? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Edit: if the cheaper one is viable, it'd free up my budget for a better lock/accessories/etc.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Does it have to be a brand new bike? If you're not buying a bike through the bike to work you will potentialy get a lot more from your budget if you buy a used bike from a trusted source.

OP
OP
MajorBisho

MajorBisho

Sorry I should have mentioned that it's through work using the scheme, so (I think) it'll need to be brand new. I'll take a look at the Sirrus when I go back on Monday to have a go on the Pinnacle, thanks. Without reading up in-depth on all the different components, which it looks like might be a good idea to do, I genuinely haven't got a clue what to look for (for example, the carbon forks mentioned).

vickster

Legendary Member
On c*** UK potholey roads, I wouldn't ride without carbon forks, not sure whether you'll get them on a bike under £500

If you need the extra budget for a lock etc (you'll need £60+ for a top one), I'd get a cheaper bike. Disc brakes add cost and weight and unless going off road or riding a lot in the wet, you don't really need them on a road going bike

HovR

Über Member
Technically speaking, disc brakes on the current model will give you more stopping power - Especially in the wet. I have a mountain bike with discs, currently running in "Road mode" with slick tires, and I do enjoy the extra braking power (over my road bike) they give me when on the road.

The disadvantages are that the frame and forks need to be "beefed up" in manufacturing to withstand the extra stresses from disc brakes, which can add extra weight.

For only £50 more you could get the Specialized Sirrus Elite, which has an improved drive chain and shifting components, as well as carbon forks.

Wardy

What about the Dawes Sonoran. At a shade under £450 you get a 6061 aluminium frame, steel fork (more forgiving) and it comes with mudguards and carrier which could be useful extras for a commuter. A bit more upright than the Pinnacle.

Recycler

You don't need to spend that much on a bike that you'll be using for a 4 mile trip. You can get a perfectly usable bike for half that amount.
The real question is will you keep the commuting up? If you only use the bike for a few weeks there's no point in spending £500. If you keep it up then it's a fair budget to start with. Only you can answer that one!

heppy

Regular
Just to add another in the pot, take a look at the Jamis Allegro Elite at Evans. I have this years Spesh Sirrus Comp but prefer this as my weekend sport rather than the daily commute, I very nearly bought last years Spesh Sirrus Expert for 699 but test rode the Jamis and for the commute is much more comfy and fairly speedy too, nothing like the Sirrus but it has Taigra, carbon forks and shimano wheels.

It is also on double offer at the moment! 20% off I got it for £605 and am chuffed to bits with it for a commuter. Take a look and test ride it along with the Sirrus, both great bikes IMHO but different one a real flat bar sports bike and the other a rapid commuter.

Good luck

defy-one

I would suggest it's not worth buying a bike on the c2w scheme if it's £300 mark. Get a £500 one with carbon fork and a better gear set - it will last you longer.

mikeIow

Guru
New member here!

Also agonising on the ride to work options.....my challenge being we have to use Evans, and I live in Leicester!
Went to the Nottingham store yesterday: not many hybrids in £500-900 range there. Staff not really that helpful (perhaps stressed on a Saturday!)
Saw a Specialized Sirrus Expert on offer....tyres very smooth, I think road-only?! White grips looked shocking, and I don't really want to spend a big wad then have to change lots of bits!

Considering Jamis Allegro and Coda, sight unseen! Also phase Trek 7.6: more expensive, not convinced it is worth it for me!

Want it for road (eg Lon2Briin June!) but also lightweight offload (gravel tracks, not mountains). Like the idea of lighter carbon forks (sounds cool!).

Should probably mention my current bike is an ancient but loved Marin hybrid.....really just looking to take advantage of the ability to get a decent new one at a nice price. Probably need to tour some London Evans shops sometime !

Any thoughts welcomed....Thx!

vickster

Legendary Member
If you can go to £900 and given you may go on some rougher stuff, this would be on my list - big fan of Whyte hybrids myself

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/whyte/cambridge-2012-hybrid-bike-ec030092?query=cambridge

Or the cheaper Portobello - you'll stand out from the crowd too (unlike on a Sirrus)

You can go on rougher stuff on a Sirrus no probs, just take it easy especially if wet (you can on a roadbike too, they don't disintegrate :bicycle: )

I looked at Trek 7.6 too after my bike was nicked, went for a reduced Sirrus Elite instead, hard to beat for the £££

Changing grips costs £20, stick it on the C2W bill or ask Evans for a freebie :smile:

aberal

Veteran
If it's only ever going to be for commuting and that alone - personally, I don't think you need to spend 500 quid for a four mile commute. I'd spend a lot less and go for something lovely and simple and bombproof like this Revolution Courier which will do the commute brilliantly. Spend the rest of the £500 on the gear. Lock, rack/panniers, helmet etc. On the other hand, if the bike is do to more and not be confined to the commute, I'd spend twice as much and get a cross bike, like this for example Crois De Fer which would also serve brilliantly for the commute but useful for getting fit, weekend rides, touring and fun, fun and fun. Opens out a whole new world to yourself. But you probably won't do that. Even if it is good advice. :smile:

mikeIow

Guru
Thx Vickster, hadn't spotted the Whyte (they have a massive online choice!): looks interesting. Very light, includes disc brakes (which I've not had before but look marginally better, usually at expense of weight)....interesting possibility!

Cheers
Mike

Top Bottom