Do I need to spend £500+ on my first hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycler

Interesting that here we have a thread about somebody thinking of spending £500+ on a bike for a four mile commute (nothing wrong with that, but it's not a big trip) and elsewhere we have a thread about somebody using a secondhand bike to do a 14 mile commute and finding the bike probably isn't quite up to it.

mikeIow

Guru
Just saw that one. They are lightweight beasts, eh! Just more decisions.....think I really need to see one, so may have to see which Evans London stores might have some in stock...I'm usually down there every week or two!
Blowing the whole lot stops me getting the extras like rack, bottle cages etc reduced.....
From http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/downloads/R7series.pdf, looks like that extra 100 gets Avid brakes versus Hayes. Not sure if that makes much difference!!
Or as you say, the non-carbon Portobello stills looks a lightweight beast.....but I like the idea of only 2 cogs at front and 10 rear versus the triple.....hmmm!

The Evans staff I spoke with in Notts didn't seem open to discussing negotiating extras/swaps....like I said, perhaps the end of a fraught day for them.....

vickster

Legendary Member
Mikelow - On Your Bike at London Bridge usually have the Whyte's in stock -they take various C2W vouchers too? Fom discussions, the Stirling has better brakes, groupset, wheels. You can always get the bottle cage for a couple of quid off fleabay

Otherwise, try the big Evans on Mortimer Street, or Waterloo ones.

OP
OP
MajorBisho

MajorBisho

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'm tempted to drop the price a little and get the pannier/mudguards/solid lock. The £300-£350 bikes mentioned seem great. Hopefully it is going to be something I stick with though, as it just makes sense to ride rather than drive except in the extreme conditions.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a 4 mile commute, takes me 20-22 minutes depending on traffic, takes me as long to drive. Wish it would stop raining as I'd rather ride, but cannot deal with the faff if get wet on way in!

My Sirrus is fully commuterised and still deals well with the commute (and further)

DresdenDoom

Ok, you could go really cheap. I did. Et voila, here is my long-suffering Ammaco Dresden complete with trailer. Although this cost a mere £150, bits drop off at an alarming rate - the left crank fell off after 6 miles! At least any aftermarket part is an upgrade, and H***rds have served me well. But unless you fancy replacing stem, saddle, crankset, chain, tyres, pedals and bottom bracket through necessity rather than whim, get something decent! :banghead:I should say in its defence that everything not mentioned has performed with total reliability and ease. The 7-spd Tourney revoshift gears deserve a particular pat on the back as the most faultless gearchange I have ever known. At the back at least. the front changer is totally useless. Hey ho, on we go...

dresden.jpg

mikeIow

Guru
nice trailer !
On the Ride2Work thing, MajorBisho, might be worth you checking out the clothing you can get. On the scheme my company does, it looks like you can get any clothing with reflective stuff...so you could also get some reasonable deals on a nice jacket, etc.....

Top Bottom