Do I or don't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
What'dya do then K?

I was twitchy about ice this morning but did bravery and rode in anyway. If I'd had a knackered chain + your commute + ice, I'd have driven in.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I reckon I'd have taken that link out and rode in before buying a new chain!

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Bollo said:
What'dya do then K?

I was twitchy about ice this morning but did bravery and rode in anyway. If I'd had a knackered chain + your commute + ice, I'd have driven in.

Yup - when I saw the weather I decided it was a good plan to not bother risking it. Got a lift in with a mate (so still avoided driving - hurrah!).

BentMikey said:
I reckon I'd have taken that link out and rode in before buying a new chain!

Would have done, except no chain tool either! Have now bought one of both, so will replace chain. Suspect I'll end up driving for the rest of the week, and will change the chain at the same time as giving the bike a thorough scrub and lube at the weekend.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Slipped on a new chain this morning, and George (the Giant) rides like a dream.

Except...

One slight disappointment, which can be summed up as follows: 8-speed chain my arse. It's a good couple of links too long, and without really knowing what I'm doing with a chain tool (I bought one of those quick link systems to try to make fitting the chain easier) I've got no chance in hell of shortening it.

So on the trial ride its making an interesting tickticktick noise where the rear mech is running slightly too close to the cassette.

What can I do? What should I do? Am I shortening the life of my chain my putting up with it... and more to the point, am I shortening the life of my rear mech or cassette (its not rubbing)?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Kaipaith said:
Slipped on a new chain this morning, and George (the Giant) rides like a dream.

Except...

One slight disappointment, which can be summed up as follows: 8-speed chain my arse. It's a good couple of links too long, and without really knowing what I'm doing with a chain tool (I bought one of those quick link systems to try to make fitting the chain easier) I've got no chance in hell of shortening it.

You sausage K! Chains are usually supplied with a few extra links to fit larger frame sizes and wider gearing setups. You pay a visit to Uncle Bollo's bike shack and we can knock out the spare links. PM to book an appointment.

There are a few ways of working out how many links you need. I've always used the 'keep your last chain and count' method, but Park Tools also have a few suggestions.

Quick links are excellent. Not only do they make snapped chains easy to fix, but chain cleaning becomes a lot simpler as well. I alway carry a spare quick link after a scary moment miles from anywhere with a broken 10 speed chain, which are tricky to rejoin without special bits. I've never managed to break one either despite being a fat honker bigger, more powerful rider.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Bollo said:
You sausage K!

Ey up! I've never pretended to know what I'm doing with regards to this maintenance lark. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is one of my mottos. If it's broke, get someone who knows what they're doing being the other.

I'll check the w*rk diary and send you a PM when I know what I'm up to. Thanks! ;)

Top Bottom