Do I really need a E-bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footloose crow

Über Member
So can I use the bike without the battery in situ - if it’s a crank drive?

Sleuthey- I think you maybe right hence my questio
Yes. The battery and motor come out as a unit. It is a crank drive. There is no pedal resistance after you reach the e bike maximum speed. The crank drive disengages completely.

Winslade

Regular
Last Spring after two months of health problems I was on the verge of cancelling a cycling holiday in Catalonia. Instead I hired a bike using a Bosch system and had a really enjoyable holiday. I now own a Boardman bike - which I bought because it was light and the fact it takes seconds to remove the battery and motor, hence I could revert to a normal bike when fit. It's been a huge improvement to my leisure activities. If it's windy or you are not feeling 'up' for that nasty hill halfway through the ride, you know you can use the motor. For me the big benefit is I know I have the flexibility to cope with whatever the weather or terrain throws at me. Most days it's on only intermittently ( hills) and even then at the lowest assist level.

So reading Samsbike's question through I would say an bike would be ideal.

D

Deleted member 26715

My Cube MTB has 5 settings, with the motor switched on you have Off, Eco, Tour, Sport & Turbo, I tend to use either Off or Eco, but last weekend I know I would not have got through the mud if it hadn't have been for the motor.

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
If you can afford one then why not!
got too many bikes and I trying to have less not more.

But I think I will use it more especially for riding into London for Sunday summer rides and not worry so much about coming home later, if I don't have to worry about being tired.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
got too many bikes and I trying to have less not more.

But I think I will use it more especially for riding into London for Sunday summer rides and not worry so much about coming home later, if I don't have to worry about being tired.
That's easy to resolve, sell the ones you no longer need/ ride to people who need one.

I had a similar change of heart about cycling to work after a quick succession of nasty close passes on my daily 20 mile round commute (which I had been doing for nearly 4 years). Abusive drivers put me off for the best part of a year, I'm only just getting back into it. Having an ebike has got me back in to the swing of the commute again, although I must say icy conditions will be keeping me on the bus or in the car, I'm a bit concerned about taking an expensive bike on black ice. Despite my new longer 30 miles route I'm riding again. Having an ebike means you can travel further and faster, so routes that were perhaps not practical before, might now be open to you? Despite the extra distance, I'm doing less miles on hostile roads, and I've avoided the worst sections of my route which helps with morale. :okay:

I honestly can't wait for spring to get back into daily cycling without the threat of ice.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a similar change of heart about cycling to work after a quick succession of nasty close passes on my daily 20 mile round commute (which I had been doing for nearly 4 years). Abusive drivers put me off for the best part of a year, I'm only just getting back into it. Having an ebike has got me back in to the swing of the commute again, although I must say icy conditions will be keeping me on the bus or in the car, I'm a bit concerned about taking an expensive bike on black ice. Despite my new longer 30 miles route I'm riding again. Having an ebike means you can travel further and faster, so routes that were perhaps not practical before, might now be open to you? Despite the extra distance, I'm doing less miles on hostile roads, and I've avoided the worst sections of my route which helps with morale. :okay:

I honestly can't wait for spring to get back into daily cycling without the threat of ice.

I think you are wise to be very cautious with your bike in icy conditions.

My bike handling skills are not the best, but I reckon the extra weight of an ebike makes it even dodgier on ice than a push bike.

I have studded tyres for one of my ebikes.

They do an excellent job, as I'm told they do on a push bike.

OP
OP
S

samsbike

Guru
I am lucky that a lot of my journey is cycle path.
It’s really the last couple of miles home (or the first couple in the morning) that I am really cautious about as people are manic especially in the morning when I feel they don’t expect a bicycle on the road.
Also my average speed is around 11.5-12.5 and I am not getting any quicker!

footloose crow

Über Member
Its one of these so no idea if the crank and motor come out

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/strada-electric-18010

do they?
Its one of these so no idea if the crank and motor come out

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/strada-electric-18010

do they?

No you can't on that model. My wife has this one:
Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 19.56.03.png

keithmac

Guru
I dont "need" and Ebike but I love using one for the commute to work!.

34 miles is a fair trek with work in the middle of it..

Top Bottom