Do I report a minor bump with a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
1599642680568.png

Chris S

Legendary Member
Not everyone logs into every website every day.
Quite a lot of people seem to log in once and then disappear.

OP
OP
Ron Montana

Ron Montana

For clarification this was not a crossroads, but a T-junction. I had two options, to carry on along the road or to turn right.

I didn't turn before the centre line of the road I was turning into.

It was my 'right of way' in the sense that whichever of those options I chose, the motorist was required to wait (give way) before joining the road I was on. I'm not convinced it advances the understanding of the substantive point to split a hair lengthways about the language chosen.

I want to be quite clear about this. There is no question but that the motorist pulled out before it was safe to do so and was at fault. My post was not about that, but about whether I should report it.

I did call the police, explained the situation, and was told that I could report it if I wanted to but no action would be taken without video footage or a witness. They were sympathetic to my view that there is a broader principle at work here, however still couldn't help.

I spent some time mulling it over first however, hence the delay in providing an update.

On reflection, my first attempt to use this forum has been pretty unsatisfactory, so I thank those that have tried to be helpful, apologise for wasting the time of those people who have been snarky, and wish you all well.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
IMO you have a legit complaint in failure to stop after an accident (since there was contact and he chose to continue on his way); you can put the emphasis on the safety element and the driver may get the bollocking he apparently requires. To be fair when a woman knocked me off my bike and disappeared without leaving her details the Polis were pretty good in handling it and I ended up with a decent payout as a result.

I doubt you'll benefit financially but morally I think reporting it is the correct action to take; since as you say it could potentially have been a lot worse and the driver evidently displayed little regard for your safety.

Top Bottom