Do i ride Enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JDM

Regular
I have made some other weight loss threads too but this is gonna be more indepth.

Im 17 years old at 256lbs and 6'1 Which is 116kg and 183cm

I got a new scott 60 which is a great bike for the price. (400euro) which is like 350£ i suppose?

In 3 days now i have driven 68 kilometers(42miles)
Some person suggested 100 miles a week. Im sure i could do that. But whenever i start cycling hard and fast my legs start to hurt.. Maybe its because im really big?

As for the food. I have cut out all the useless sugary stuff, chocolate bars, chips, sodas, fastfood. I drink lots of water everyday and my breakfast is Special K cereal. I also like a salad with : Tomatoes, Cucumber, Tuna and Virgin olive oil. I dont think im having enough veggies so what is a good way to consume veggies every day?

I have this device on my bike which shows my avg speed, odometer and all that other. Most of you problably have it. My avg speed shows 14.4 Which i know is really bad..

The maximum length per day i could drive is 30km per day which is like 20 miles. What other foods do you think i should eat? Green tea? Nestle fitness bars? Which meat should i eat?

Sorry if i wrote too many things. BTW i dont smoke or drink alcohol at all. I heard Bananas are fattening and so are some other fruits? Is that true?

first things first - please stop saying 'driving' and start saying 'riding'

But whenever i start cycling hard and fast my legs start to hurt.. Maybe its because im really big?

no, it's because you are not used to it.

I dont think im having enough veggies so what is a good way to consume veggies every day?

just eat more of them - how's that for a scientific answer?

The maximum length per day i could drive is 30km per day which is like 20 miles. What other foods do you think i should eat? Green tea? Nestle fitness bars? Which meat should i eat?

just eat less of everything - except fruit & veg - eat more of that.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Bananas are pretty good before or after exercise imho, but like most sweet fruit has a fair bit of sugar in so eat in moderation. You dont need anything special like fitness bars or magic metabolism pills to lose weight, just eat sensibly in smaller quantities and exercise :smile: If the weight loss isnt working, then try writing down what youre eating each day so you can figure it out.

Is the 14.4 kmh or mph? Not that speed really matters, just wondering how much time youre suggesting cycling for. Id guess youd be better increasing the cycling a bit more gradually for the first few weeks, buying a bike and starting out at 100miles a week i would guess is risky for getting injuries if you havent been doing exercise in a while.

OP
OP
JDM

JDM

Regular
first things first - please stop saying 'driving' and start saying 'riding'

just eat more of them - how's that for a scientific answer?
Yes i could eat more of them but just eating broccoli and some other not so tasty vegs without doing anything to them is not tasty. Should i just boil lots of veggies?

just eat less of everything - except fruit & veg - eat more of that.

OP
OP
JDM

JDM

Regular
Bananas are pretty good before or after exercise imho, but like most sweet fruit has a fair bit of sugar in so eat in moderation. You dont need anything special like fitness bars or magic metabolism pills to lose weight, just eat sensibly in smaller quantities and exercise :smile: If the weight loss isnt working, then try writing down what youre eating each day so you can figure it out.

Is the 14.4 kmh or mph? Not that speed really matters, just wondering how much time youre suggesting cycling for. Id guess youd be better increasing the cycling a bit more gradually for the first few weeks, buying a bike and starting out at 100miles a week i would guess is risky for getting injuries if you havent been doing exercise in a while.
14.4 was kmh. Thanks for the answer

Yes i could eat more of them but just eating broccoli and some other not so tasty vegs without doing anything to them is not tasty. Should i just boil lots of veggies?

I can't really help you on recipes, sorry. Do you have a cook book..?

If you want to lose weight then around 100 miles a week is a good start.

You need to build up your heart/lung capacity - that comes with regular exercise so I'd recommend a 15 mile daily if you can manage it.

After that it is building up your muscles and losing weight - so protein with minimal fat intake.

Increasing bike speed comes from turning the pedals faster (higher cadence) and using a bigger gear - you need to practice both and have patience. For example if you go into an easy gear and pedal as fast as you can you will soon get tired. After 6 months practice your ability in this area will have improved noticeably.

Some person suggested 100 miles a week. Im sure i could do that. But whenever i start cycling hard and fast my legs start to hurt.. Maybe its because im really big?

Perhaps, but it could be the set up is wrong too, such as the saddle height. JDM a basic to getting your saddle height right stand on the bike with your heels on the pedal and leg almost straight (but not locked out), when your foot is at the bottom of the pedal revolution thats the height your saddle should be. http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

Top Bottom