Do I want a smart watch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They want 500 sheets for $20 of electronics?!
I still can't help wondering why folk want all this gubbins on a watch with a tiddly display on a device with limited battery life. Are folk walking around naked with just the watch to keep them in touch with their body and the world?
No pockets?
I suspect so.
I reckon the watch is a just a cash-generating stop-gap for the tech brands.
So I'm holding out for next the generation - the esuppository - can easily contain all the electronics.
The anal sphincter is an as yet unleveraged two-way comms device.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The anal sphincter is an as yet unleveraged two-way comms device.
Talking out of your arse as usual! :laugh:

newts

Veteran
Talking out of your arse as usual!
yebbut I'll also be able to control the curtains from it, change TV channels, change next door's TV.
I had a little post Sunday roast flatulence, as if by magic the living room windows opened shortly after. Don't think it was my Samsung watch that caused the fenestration actuation, more likely the protesting Mrs N🤔

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
An apple a day keeps the doctor away:rolleyes:
All too true in Steve Jobs case.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Oops! Saw a garmin fenix 6 for £329! It fell into my hands and I £329 worse off. I was only looking at £179 spend at most. It just screamed shiny, new tech to me and its a £500+ watch. Got all the multisports features and apps store too. It's got ABC and gps. Training plans, coaching function and pretty much most if not all of the features any garmin wearable has. Skiing, swimming, golf ffs! SUP, kayaking, climbing, etc. I bought it as incentive to get out more to exercise. I might even start running! Couch to 5k perhaps. It's got a coaching programme for that.

I'm particularly interested in seeing its yoga and pilates routines. I need to improve flexibility. Weights routine in it too.

Nice watch - didn't pass my criteria of not costing too much that I would cry if I gouged it whilst scrambling in the Fells.

Have fun setting it up. Took me ages to get my Instinct sussed and set up properly.

The Garmin Manuals are okay as a bog standard set-up aid but miss out an awful lot of detail re how to use their kit in the field.

Love a bit of tech - had Garmin cycle computers so bought Garmin smartwatches to keep in the same eco system, nice app, nice looking watches, however, problems with all of them, mainly with connectivity (that also went to the computers) connecting to Bluetooth/app etc was just hit and miss, anyway, persevered for 4-5 years, probably had 4 Garmin watches of one description or another but eventually got fed up of the hassle trying to connect them. Always turned nose up at an Iwatch, too much and dont really like the square look, much prefer the traditional face of the Garmins/Polar etc.
Anyway, after the latest disappointment with a Garmin (Venu, I think, screen not terrible bright like the photos and those oh so familiar connection problems I gave up and ordered an iwatch through amazon knowing I could easy return it if I didn't like it - my God, best gadget I have ever bought and cant believe I didnt do it earlier! Thing is, I cant explain why, other than it just works, all the time, every time. Connects to Iphone seamlessly - watch has even told me that I have left my phone behind in a shop which was pretty useful ("Iphone out of range" was the message on watch I think). I am also constantly loosing the phone in the house - simple press on the watch and phone dings so I can locate it - but there are just so many other uses and I really do find using it a breeze - going for runs/walks etc, again every Garmin took a while to set up, link, and start, the Iwatch, I have the face designed so one of the 'complications' is exercise - one simple press on the watch and everything is recorded - heck even if you forget you get a reminder on the watch telling you it thinks you are going for a run do you wan to record it etc etc etc
As others have said, the charging also put me off initially, but its really no effort at all - obviously smart watches are not for everyone, and the Iwatch is not for everyone but I really do love mine surprisingly so and would replace it in a heartbeat if it was lost etc.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Love a bit of tech - had Garmin cycle computers so bought Garmin smartwatches to keep in the same eco system, nice app, nice looking watches, however, problems with all of them, mainly with connectivity (that also went to the computers) connecting to Bluetooth/app etc was just hit and miss, anyway, persevered for 4-5 years, probably had 4 Garmin watches of one description or another but eventually got fed up of the hassle trying to connect them. Always turned nose up at an Iwatch, too much and dont really like the square look, much prefer the traditional face of the Garmins/Polar etc.
Anyway, after the latest disappointment with a Garmin (Venu, I think, screen not terrible bright like the photos and those oh so familiar connection problems I gave up and ordered an iwatch through amazon knowing I could easy return it if I didn't like it - my God, best gadget I have ever bought and cant believe I didnt do it earlier! Thing is, I cant explain why, other than it just works, all the time, every time. Connects to Iphone seamlessly - watch has even told me that I have left my phone behind in a shop which was pretty useful ("Iphone out of range" was the message on watch I think). I am also constantly loosing the phone in the house - simple press on the watch and phone dings so I can locate it - but there are just so many other uses and I really do find using it a breeze - going for runs/walks etc, again every Garmin took a while to set up, link, and start, the Iwatch, I have the face designed so one of the 'complications' is exercise - one simple press on the watch and everything is recorded - heck even if you forget you get a reminder on the watch telling you it thinks you are going for a run do you wan to record it etc etc etc
As others have said, the charging also put me off initially, but its really no effort at all - obviously smart watches are not for everyone, and the Iwatch is not for everyone but I really do love mine surprisingly so and would replace it in a heartbeat if it was lost etc.
Glad you like it. If anything, I’m enjoying it more the longer I have it.

Never had any issue with connectivity of garmin. I would have a big problem with apple's watch connectivity though. I've not got an iPhone, unless you call the 5s heater I have at work an iphone. Use it for much more than 5 minutes and you could fry eggs on it!

Perhaps if you're an iPhone user you have to have apple watch but any other brand if smartwatch you need an android phone to prevent issues.

Enjoying the storm warnings my garmin is giving me. Watched the pressure drop from something like 1030 to currently 985mbar. The graph just keeps going down.

Top Bottom