Do steel frames and thunderstorms mix well?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't worry about it - if lightning decides to strike it won't make any difference what your frame is made from, you will still be vapourised.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Carbon is probably worse or even fatter the tyres the more insulated. - As Rigid Raider says, you probably won't be here to care about it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If a bolt of lightning has travelled X hundred metres through thin air, what your bike is made of, or the inch of rubber it sits on is going to make no difference whatsoever to it.

If you're out and it starts to lightning around you in an exposed place, See if you can prop the bike upright and then move away a little and crouch down so as not to be the tallest thing around. Have as little contact with the ground as you can - just the balls of your feet if you can balance. Tuck your head as far down as you can between your shoulders, and put your arms up around your head.

I had to do this once, one bolt came down in the field to the left, the next in the field to the right. I was very glad I'd watched whatever random survival TV show I saw the instructions on...

Saddle bum

Über Member
Arch said:
If you're out and it starts to lightning around you in an exposed place, See if you can prop the bike upright and then move away a little and crouch down so as not to be the tallest thing around. Have as little contact with the ground as you can - just the balls of your feet if you can balance. Tuck your head as far down as you can between your shoulders, and put your arms up around your head.

Just the right position for when the Sphincta gives way!!!

Many moons ago, when riders actually rode out to ride local time trials, I was caught in a thunder storm up on The Ridgeway at Enfield. I was absolutley terrified, with lightning stabbbing down all around. I put the bike under a tree and sheltered in phone box.

Arch said:
If a bolt of lightning has travelled X hundred metres through thin air, what your bike is made of, or the inch of rubber it sits on is going to make no difference whatsoever to it.

I had to do this once, one bolt came down in the field to the left, the next in the field to the right. I was very glad I'd watched whatever random survival TV show I saw the instructions on...

My ex's cousin lived in the States and was out with her boyfriend when a thunder storm started. Running back to their car, he unlocked the car with the remote door-opener (or whatever it's called) and at that precise moment was struck by a bolt of lightning. It entered his body at the top of his neck and came out under his buttock. He died 16 hours later! :tongue: :eek:

Globalti

Legendary Member
My sister got struck in a camp site in Andorra - she was in a big tent with her boyfriend and his 2 kids when lightning hit the tent pole jumped through the frame of the camp bed occupied by one of the kids, through a biscuit tin of Brillo pads and into the second pole then to earth. The Brillo pads were fused into a smoking mass of steel and soap and the family badly frightened!

wafflycat

atbman

Veteran
A colleague of mine in Coventry these many years ago was struck while riding home from Alfred Herberts Machine Tools one night and survived with only one night in hospital.

By a strange coincidence, his name was Alan Crisp

Top Bottom