Do turbos wear your bike out quicker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Do they put strain on the frames?

My Sirius Gel turbo flexes with your pedalling...apparently this eleminates or reduces strain and gives a more realistic feel to your training.

Also, do the drivetrain components wear out quicker?
I can appreciate that higher cadences may do so...but then again you don't change gears like you do as if you were out on your bike and grinding up big hills.

Just a thought I had.:wacko:

bonj2

the rear hub will obviously wear out at the same rate, the chain and cassette possibly slightly slower due to not changing gear as much but not much slower. and probabliy only whichever sprockets you use will get worn, you may not ever use some of them..
Front hub presumably won't get any wear.
Mind the brake pads on the turbo though, they can get worn out real fast. :wacko:

Blue

Legendary Member
The wear rate on the rear tyre will be quite high.

I've read articles where it was suggested that getting out of the saddle will put excessive strain on the frame.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I stood up a couple of times but stopped peddaling.....my ba**s were aching like mad on the saddle......lol :wacko:
My tyre has only to last until end of March when I can afford a new set of wheels plus some turbo bits. xx(

No I wouldn't stand up too much. I didn't think anything of it until I saw my kids on it and how much the bike flexed just with them doing it. I do come out the saddle but I just go forward to relieve the pressure and don't honk.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Crackle said:
No I wouldn't stand up too much. I didn't think anything of it until I saw my kids on it and how much the bike flexed just with them doing it. I do come out the saddle but I just go forward to relieve the pressure and don't honk.
Same here.:wacko:
Hopefully my new stemm will stop the ache as I won't be reaching so far.xx(

walker

fossyant said:
nah - your bikes take a far bigger beating on the road

I'm not too sure how much of this is true, But I have heard that you shouldn't use a carbon frame on a turbo as the frame is prone to crack. Again not sure how true this is.

02GF74

Über Member
what turbo we talking about?

I have one that clamps front forks with the rear wheel clamped onto a roller.

I notice movement of the frame when I pedal and this is matched by the back tyre moving side to side on the roller but thought nothing of it as on the road the whole bike will move side to side so is not nitceable.

Now that this has been mentioned, I reckon having the front forks clamped may be putting more stress on the headset part of the frame.

Although I have not verified it, I have a feeling that tyre wear is worse, maybe that is due to seeing the heap of black dust near the roller that you do not see on the road.

Top Bottom