Do we all go bonkers with advancing age and post retirement.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
To answer the question you asked at the start. Get a friend who is a paramedic or similar. They will tell you if your slipping a cog in an instant. ^_^

I have to say I think this thread and the opening post is utter nonsense.
why?

Is it possible that in addition to whatever else is going on with his ageing, his attitude to/ideas about the corporate world may have been influenced by his involvement in the oil industry? Underneath all the lovey dovey stuff/bullshit put out by the likes of Shell it's a very ugly dark industry. Evil wouldn't be too strong a word for some of the stuff they get up to - and then gloss. Almost a recipe for mental disorders for anyone with intelligence insight and a soul.

I also remember that donkey's years ago I had a bedsit in a large house in Guildford owned by an ex shell oil exec. He hinted to me once that some terrible terrible stuff went on. He looked genuinely troubled to me.

An ex president of Italy, Cossiga, was also reckoned to have gone mad in his later years and be full of conspiracy theories. But then Italy is full of dark genuine conspiracies - again under a lot of sweet gloss. I wasn't altogether surprised that Cossiga had maybe become unhinged when considering the stuff he must have known, the folk he had to deal with, the things that he saw but had to leave unsaid, the appalling "compromises" he must have had to make.

Punkawallah

Über Member
And the original poster was struggling to come to terms with either their friends change of demeanour, or the material they were passing on. Fairly straightforward to pick apart, but not the clearest, mayhap.

Top Bottom