Do we ever really grow up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Childhoods end from Marillions Misplaced Childhood has always summed it up perfectly for me abridged version for the pertinent points below.

And it was morning
And I found myself mourning,
For a childhood that I thought had disappeared
I looked out the window
And I saw a magpie in the rainbow, the rain had gone
I'm not alone, I turned to the mirror
I saw you, the child, that once loved
The child before they broke his heart
Our heart, the heart that I believed was lost

So it's me I see, I can do anything.
I'm still the child
'Cos the only thing misplaced was direction
And I found direction
There is no childhood's end
I am your childhood friend, lead me on

ChrisW

My wife's got 3 children and i'm the youngest.

Wonder what i'll do when i grow up?

Tetedelacourse

I think we DO grow up inside too. The things I wanted to do when I was 17 seem totally unappealing now. And the things that please me now would have been wretch-inducing when I was 17.

Example no.1: Get blind drunk ( and I mean completely paralitic) and jump in a loch.

Example no.2: Wash my bike.

Example no.3: Stay up all night watching films.

Example no.4: Read history books.

etc etc etc etc

bonj2

observations.
1) what actually is 'being grown-up'? define it. There's so many possible candidates...

2) people seem to be very keen to 'boast' about how immature and un-grown-up they are. Not sure why.

ChrisKH

Guru
I was probably more 'mature' at 14 than I am now. Experience tells me I don't have to be that way all the time.

Tetedelacourse

yeah

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
bonj said:
observations.
2) people seem to be very keen to 'boast' about how immature and un-grown-up they are. Not sure why.
Not an unreasonable question... two points spring to mind:
a) given the title of the thread, examples of not growing up (i.e. displaying behaviour that might commonly be classed, by independent witnesses, as 'immature') will provide greater entertainment for the reader than examples of 'grown-up' behaviour.
;)
four_goodbye.jpg

girofan

;) I have recently found some new mates to ride with after moving area.
My wife asked me what they were like? I replied that they were all 8 years old, but the problem was I was only 7! ;)

col

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
I'm 36, and I'm still in the angry phase that started when I was 14. I wonder if it will ever end...

It will,your anger will subside to pensive fear,whenever you see gangs of chavs on street corners,another five years should do it.;)

Top Bottom