Do we have any Windows Phone users in our midst?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
MS were working on an app that made Android apps compatible but abandoned it - there are ways apparently of using Android apps on a Windows phone judging by Google search results; equally it seems it is possible to put Android on a Windows phone but with the rather big downside that the wifi does not work. My rarely used work mobile is a Windows phone and keeps on indicating a program has an update bur when I try to update it always fails.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Honestly, I think that's a bit of a cop out or a stretch at best; are you saying you wouldn't have a passenger talk in the car to you either for safety? Or are you just justifying the current functionality you only have? Living through the functionality, it's really easy to say "ignore" and that's that -and it's easier to say ignore to a text rather than a real person. Additionally this would also seem to suggest phones shouldn't have the ability to receive phone calls via BT in a car either for the same reason (which actually I'd think would be much more distracting). Interestingly I'd set my Windows phone to ignore phone calls so I didn't have this problem.

I'm really not trying to bash Android or Iphones (each can be excellent choices) but once you get used to this functionality, it's really hard not to miss it or think you are taking a backwards step. Yes, to each their own -but I still miss this functionality :smile:

I don't think the functionality I have is limited. It's just five words but hey ho.

Personally I don't make or receive calls while driving. That's all. Everyone is free to make their own choice and I wouldn't suggest phones shouldn't have this function. It's simply one I prefer not to use.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had one. I eventually retired it for Android as there were no apps for it. Going to android was a step backwards. The WP was way more usable. But suffered from a scarcity of apps.

My work gave me an IPhone a few years ago but all I've ever used it for is as an MFA device ( those little apps that give you numbers or notifications for logging in to systems) so I don't know if it's any good.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have one - 5 year old Nokia - all I need. Works perfectly even up in the local mountains. Been dropped many times and has never broke. Bargain @ £45. £8 pm SIM only deal.

Yes Whatsapp is definitely going - I don't use it much but other people seem to prefer WA'ing me than texting.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
A few years ago they were flogging off Windows phones at Carphone Warehouse. Got both my kids a Lumina (640 I think) for a tenner each. Astounding value. They switched to android after a bit though.

Top Bottom