Do we have any Windows Phone users in our midst?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
My Mum, who is definitely not the most tech savvy person in the world has a Windows phone. It was a long struggle for her to get the hang of using it and also, as an Android user I wasn't always the best to advise her as I found it a slightly strange device to use and not as intuitive as Android. Having said that, over time my respect grew for it as it seems to have been very stable without any issues, and battery life, etc on the phone are still good. It also has a pretty decent camera and I'd say was a perfectly decent product in it's time.

Now my Mum has finally got used to it and is a bit of a maestro on it. She does use Whatsapp to communicate with a number of people. It's seems Whatsapp are stopping support for the Windows platform at the end of the year. I told my Mum that that probably means they will no longer issue new updates for it but it would continue to work for the time being. I'm now not so sure. I've been trying to Google it and some are saying Whatsapp will simply not work on a Windows phone next year.

I'm just wondering if we have any other Windows users on here and if anyone is aware of a workaround for the Whatsapp issue?

I'm perfectly aware that it will be necessary to change the phone for something else at some point in the future but it's against my religion to bin a perfectly functional device just because Whatsapp have decided not to support it anymore and I also dread the endless "tech support" sessions if my Mum switched to Android (or Apple - something I know nothing about).

classic33

Leg End Member
Seems it will simply stop working at the end of this year.

One site of many telling the same story
https://m.hexus.net/mobile/news/windows-phone/136988-whatsapp-shuts-windows-10-mobile-31st-dec/

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I had a Windows phone about 7 years ago. I was so happy when I dropped it and it broke. Maybe they've improved since then but that's been my only experience of them.
It didn't even have Bluetooth!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TL;DR I'd keep my Windows phone in a heartbeat if Whatsapp still would work, and I miss its BT functionality immensely.

I think Whatsapp will stop working and don't have any workarounds but would suggest using Square Home as an app launcher on an Android to duplicate the Windows phone look and feel (see screenshot). It approximates the Windows phone quite nicely and is extremely customizable...

But here is my tale of woe: yes, I was a Windows phone user (Lumia 640) until about a month ago. Since most of my family is on Whatsapp, I decided -after years of robust reliability -that I would get with the 2010's and get an Android phone for the exact same reason of Whatsapp not working in the new year. What a mistake. I personally love the metro interface, and used Square Home as a metro launcher with great success on my new Moto G6 Play, so that's good, but that's pretty much where it ends. I don't use many apps, so even though I freely acknowledge Android and Iphone are way ahead, no big deal for me. But I feel like I'm -after 4 years of a Windows phone -going backwards in technology. Why?

This is my Windows phone scenario: I got the phone. I connected to the Bluetooth stereo in my car when I first got it. Done. I get in my car, I drive. I listen to the radio, my music from my phone, etc. no problem. I do not press any buttons on my car BT stereo nor do I press any buttons on a steering wheel. When I receive a text, I hear: "You've received a text from Fred Bloggs. Do you want to read it or ignore it?". I respond verbally "Read it" and it is read out loud to me. When it's finished reading out, I'm asked "Do you want to reply?" I say yes, and then read out loud a message, and then say "send".

It's wonderful functionality, and I've been using it extensively and almost every single time I'm in my car. I've never had to mess around installing apps or configuring apps for this functionality; I can hear a text and respond to it, all while never taking my hands off the steering wheel, nor my eyes off the road or pressing any buttons. Fantastic.

But can Android phones or Iphones do this? Apparently not (read the above previous description carefully). I've tried googling and installing various apps (with various myriad of configurations) all to no avail in an attempt to duplicate this functionality. The lengths I've gone to compared to what I had to do with the Windows phone is just no comparison. I just don't get how what I feel is core functionality isn't now available four years later. Interestingly, I'm so used to this with my old Windows phone as a core functionality, but nobody I talk too who has not used a Windows phone doesn't even think about this, I'm guessing because they've never experienced it. Once you've experienced this, you don't want to go back. Which is what I feel I am doing, going backwards now with a new Android phone.

Grrrrr I really miss my Windows phone. Additionally the MS voice recognition seems to work much better. Honestly, if Windows phones were still being made, I'd get another. If anyone makes fun of Windows phones to me now, I'll honestly laugh in their face. There, rant over.

screenshot.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I had one, I thought it was great. Such a shame MS dropped it but it was just too late at the party and never found general acceptance. With a bit more development it could have been a major player.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TL;DR I'd keep my Windows phone in a heartbeat if Whatsapp still would work, and I miss its BT functionality immensely.

I think Whatsapp will stop working and don't have any workarounds but would suggest using Square Home as an app launcher on an Android to duplicate the Windows phone look and feel (see screenshot). It approximates the Windows phone quite nicely and is extremely customizable...

But here is my tale of woe: yes, I was a Windows phone user (Lumia 640) until about a month ago. Since most of my family is on Whatsapp, I decided -after years of robust reliability -that I would get with the 2010's and get an Android phone for the exact same reason of Whatsapp not working in the new year. What a mistake. I personally love the metro interface, and used Square Home as a metro launcher with great success on my new Moto G6 Play, so that's good, but that's pretty much where it ends. I don't use many apps, so even though I freely acknowledge Android and Iphone are way ahead, no big deal for me. But I feel like I'm -after 4 years of a Windows phone -going backwards in technology. Why?

This is my Windows phone scenario: I got the phone. I connected to the Bluetooth stereo in my car when I first got it. Done. I get in my car, I drive. I listen to the radio, my music from my phone, etc. no problem. I do not press any buttons on my car BT stereo nor do I press any buttons on a steering wheel. When I receive a text, I hear: "You've received a text from Fred Bloggs. Do you want to read it or ignore it?". I respond verbally "Read it" and it is read out loud to me. When it's finished reading out, I'm asked "Do you want to reply?" I say yes, and then read out loud a message, and then say "send".

It's wonderful functionality, and I've been using it extensively and almost every single time I'm in my car. I've never had to mess around installing apps or configuring apps for this functionality; I can hear a text and respond to it, all while never taking my hands off the steering wheel, nor my eyes off the road or pressing any buttons. Fantastic.

But can Android phones or Iphones do this? Apparently not (read the above previous description carefully). I've tried googling and installing various apps (with various myriad of configurations) all to no avail in an attempt to duplicate this functionality. The lengths I've gone to compared to what I had to do with the Windows phone is just no comparison. I just don't get how what I feel is core functionality isn't now available four years later. Interestingly, I'm so used to this with my old Windows phone as a core functionality, but nobody I talk too who has not used a Windows phone doesn't even think about this, I'm guessing because they've never experienced it. Once you've experienced this, you don't want to go back. Which is what I feel I am doing, going backwards now with a new Android phone.

Grrrrr I really miss my Windows phone. Additionally the MS voice recognition seems to work much better. Honestly, if Windows phones were still being made, I'd get another. If anyone makes fun of Windows phones to me now, I'll honestly laugh in their face. There, rant over.

View attachment 495791
Agree with all that. I went from Android to Windows and found the latter OS far more intuitive and feature rich. Sadly that didn't extend to applications, eg no Strava. It was a good product but MS were too late to the party.

Edited to add: back witg Android now, after my Lumia died. Still missing Windows but it's great ti have apps again

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

View attachment 495791
I have a Moto G6 Play.

Can I suggest you turn on Google Assistant and say "OK Google."

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Oh yes I have. So my question is: when I get in my car, will a text come through and be read automatically without me pressing any buttons or prompting for my texts to be read? (see my description) From what I've tried with google assistant, the answer is no. I don't want to have to say "OK Google" and then "read my texts". I want them read them to me as I receive them with no prompting.... as my Windows phone has done quite happily for the last 4 years.

Edit: fyi, I don't mean to sound snarky, I really don't. I've had many Android users suggest this to me -after I've described my scenario and how the Windows phone works. I've also had quite in depth conversations with 2 fairly big iphone users, with the end result (one actually using the beta Ios to see if they could do what I described with no luck) being an admission they do not have this functionality.

I have a Moto G6 Play.

Can I suggest you turn on Google Assistant and say "OK Google."

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Oh yes I have. So my question is: when I get in my car, will a text come through and be read automatically without me pressing any buttons or prompting for my texts to be read? (see my description) From what I've tried with google assistant, the answer is no. I don't want to have to say "OK Google" and then "read my texts". I want them read them to me as I receive them with no prompting.... as my Windows phone has done quite happily for the last 4 years.

Edit: fyi, I don't mean to sound snarky, I really don't. I've had many Android users suggest this to me -after I've described my scenario and how the Windows phone works. I've also had quite in depth conversations with 2 fairly big iphone users, with the end result (one actually using the beta Ios to see if they could do what I described with no luck) being an admission they do not have this functionality.
As far as I know they won't be read automatically. I have the impression all the more recent technology which reads texts, emails etc. is voice activated.

Clearly it's your choice but it is only five extra words you have to speak. I also feel there is a safety benefit with Google Assistant. Rather than your phone potentially distracting you while driving you can choose a moment when it's convenient and safe to listen. Though personally I'd argue those moments don't exist when driving.

Obviously the choice is one for the individual.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD has a windows phone. He has had it for about 3 years and apart from a couple of times it has spent its entire life in his bedside cabinet. It's a load of rubbish and the best thing you can do with them is to throw it away IMHO.

I have a Samsung and love it. Too often nowadays different companies just stop certain aps from working.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP works for Microsoft. Her team were all issued with the windows device. Not one of them used it, preferring the fruit named one. There’s a good reason the ms device is no longer made.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I did have one about 4 years ago and it was rather good. However, an innate dislike of smartphones per se meant I soon got rid and I sold it to someone one here.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Honestly, I think that's a bit of a cop out or a stretch at best; are you saying you wouldn't have a passenger talk in the car to you either for safety? Or are you just justifying the current functionality you only have? Living through the functionality, it's really easy to say "ignore" and that's that -and it's easier to say ignore to a text rather than a real person. Additionally this would also seem to suggest phones shouldn't have the ability to receive phone calls via BT in a car either for the same reason (which actually I'd think would be much more distracting). Interestingly I'd set my Windows phone to ignore phone calls so I didn't have this problem.

I'm really not trying to bash Android or Iphones (each can be excellent choices) but once you get used to this functionality, it's really hard not to miss it or think you are taking a backwards step. Yes, to each their own -but I still miss this functionality :smile:

As far as I know they won't be read automatically. I have the impression all the more recent technology which reads texts, emails etc. is voice activated.

Clearly it's your choice but it is only five extra words you have to speak. I also feel there is a safety benefit with Google Assistant. Rather than your phone potentially distracting you while driving you can choose a moment when it's convenient and safe to listen. Though personally I'd argue those moments don't exist when driving.

Obviously the choice is one for the individual.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I've heard this a lot, so Windows phones were undeniably bad. My experience with a Lumia 640 was the opposite, but, get this, my brother had the same model and had loads of issues.. really weird. FWIW his was bought in the UK but mine was bought in the USA. You'd think the experiences would be the same!

The Fragrant MrsP works for Microsoft. Her team were all issued with the windows device. Not one of them used it, preferring the fruit named one. There’s a good reason the ms device is no longer made.

Top Bottom