Odd phone call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I remember someone talking about similar before, but I cannot recall the exact details.

A few minutes ago, I had an elderly and posh sounding gent on the phone asking if I had just phoned him.

I had not. We both have a very similar phone number, albeit two digits out.

Now I told him I had not called him and I shouted it a second time as he was hard of hearing (a recording trap?).

He then asked me to confirm my number was my number, he even said it all out to me... Smelling a rat, I hung up before I confirmed.

I just want to know, is this some sort of scam?
Why would he know my number?
Why would he say I called him when I didn't?

Or was it genuinely some old guy getting confused and I've just been rude? I felt bad hanging up, but... 🤷

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
I remember someone talking about similar before, but I cannot recall the exact details.

A few minutes ago, I had an elderly and posh sounding gent on the phone asking if I had just phoned him.

I had not. We both have a very similar phone number, albeit two digits out.

Now I told him I had not called him and I shouted it a second time as he was hard of hearing (a recording trap?).

He then asked me to confirm my number was my number, he even said it all out to me... Smelling a rat, I hung up before I confirmed.

I just want to know, is this some sort of scam?
Why would he know my number?
Why would he say I called him when I didn't?

Or was it genuinely some old duffer getting confused? I felt bad hanging up, but... 🤷

I've had similar. My number is one out from someone called Laura. They'd left messages for her and it was from an estate agent and a car insurance company, I checked the numbers online before calling because they could have been important messages.

Right to be wary though, there are all kinds of telephone scams out there.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I've had similar. My number is one out from someone called Laura. They'd left messages for her and it was from an estate agent and a car insurance company, I checked the numbers online before calling because they could have been important messages.

Right to be wary though, there are all kinds of telephone scams out there.

Thanks. I tried to check the number afterwards, but nothing came up.

He sounded very posh, southern English, but also frail and a bit doddery, not the usual Scammer voice at all.

AndyRM

XOXO
I honestly wouldn't over think it too much. He could have been confused for any number of reasons.

Many of the customers I had in my contact centre/retail days were incredibly rude, age is no guarantee of politeness!

vickster

Legendary Member
He sounded a bit like the Major in Fawlty Towers, not a Yorkshire accent, so yes, probably not!

Accy isn’t from Yorkshire :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I honestly wouldn't over think it too much. He could have been confused for any number of reasons.
It did occur to me at first if he was senile or similar, but he sounded reasonably ok.
Many of the customers I had in my contact centre/retail days were incredibly rude, age is no guarantee of politeness!
I meant me, was I being rude for hanging up on him?
He could have been genuine, but then again, it might have been someone doing the voice or it might even have been a very sophisticated recording, who knows?

AndyRM

XOXO
It did occur to me at first if he was senile or similar, but he sounded reasonably ok.

I meant me, was I being rude for hanging up on him?
He could have been genuine, but then again, it might have been someone doing the voice or it might even have been a very sophisticated recording, who knows?

My mistake. No, I don't think you were rude. It's not like he called you back leaving abusive messages or owt.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I once had a lot of calls to my mobile from all sorts of people. Transpired that a woman whose name I forget but who worked in a care home had got a new phone and new number which was like mine but had the last two numbers transposed.
She had given out the wrong number {mine} and it was widely spread before I managed to persuade one of the callers to get in touch with her and sort the mess she had created.

I used to get regular calls from a wrong number that was a confused old lady. With a bit of digging I managed to talk to her son, who was pleasant enough, and whose number was very similar to mine.

I didn't mind her ringing and once I'd explained she'd got the wrong number, I would just have a conversation with her, and even her son reckoned she did it on purpose sometimes as she enjoyed our chats.

This thread has made me realise just how long it's been since she called me, and guessing as to why not. :sad:

Top Bottom