Disturbing phone call.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Although a letter through the door from the HMRC advising you they are trying to contact you via phone & email without success & to contact them might not be. I got one the other day ignored the number on the letter & rang one on the website. 3 phone calls 3 hours later with 3 different operators apparently the company books were filed late in 2008 & the company still owed them £100 in fees. Unfortunately (for them) just as I was about to ask for proof the line went dead for the 3rd time.

Probably the reason they couldn't contact by phone or email if they have tried is 2008 was the last trading year & the phone & email haven't worked since.
And you replied, "aaahhh, meester pheeeeeeeeeton, he no rive here no more. He move rong rong way away a rong time ago." The mix of Spanish and Chinese accents should convince them.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
And you replied, "aaahhh, meester pheeeeeeeeeton, he no rive here no more. He move rong rong way away a rong time ago." The mix of Spanish and Chinese accents should convince them.

Welsh is good too , you can tell them how to spell everything.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I realised a long time ago that the scammers have heard it all before when it comes to cute responses, so it's naive to think that anything you say is going to upset or shame them.

The only strategy I've found that does seem to annoy them is to waste their time, with the added bonus that all the time you keep them on the line, stringing them along, is time they haven't been using to scam some other poor innocent victim.

I managed that for over an hour once, and got a torrent of abuse when I stopped halfway through reading my made-up credit card number to explain that I'd been winding them up.

D

Deleted member 26715

Watch your phone bill for cheeky charges on those calls.
It was a common or garden Fixed 03 number although they or their provider do make a little on them, knowing our Government it will be the provider not the taxpayer.

november4

I don't answer numbers the phone doesn't recognise, and we dropped land line few years ago as most calls were from Indian scam centres.

D

Deleted member 1258

I realised a long time ago that the scammers have heard it all before when it comes to cute responses, so it's naive to think that anything you say is going to upset or shame them.

The only strategy I've found that does seem to annoy them is to waste their time, with the added bonus that all the time you keep them on the line, stringing them along, is time they haven't been using to scam some other poor innocent victim.

I managed that for over an hour once, and got a torrent of abuse when I stopped halfway through reading my made-up credit card number to explain that I'd been winding them up.

A while back there seemed to be a competition going on on YACF with people seeing how long they could keep these people talking, very entertaining.

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't answer numbers the phone doesn't recognise, and we dropped land line few years ago as most calls were from Indian scam centres.
Back in days of yore when I was in hi tec crime (Investigating, not committing) probably 80% originated there. That demographic may have shifted over the last half decade plus.

Gwylan

Veteran
Early this afternoon I received a call from a mobile number unknown to me. With a strong Scottish accent, this man said he had a High Court judgement against me for non payment of Google fees when I had my driving school. I never advertised with Google and I closed my school 8 years ago. I had a line on Facebook but that's all. He finished the call advising me to have my bank card ready.
My wife says it is a scam and so do our children. It has to be as I know I don't owe anybody anything, especially from 8 years ago.

My response falls into two camps- have you considered sex and travel?
Or, you know so much write to me, then try the travel agents

Top Bottom