Odd phone call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
on ‎19-07-2021 18h18

Message 2 of 23
Re: Receiving calls from people saying I called them, but I haven’t!
Sounds like someone spoofed your number, a common thing withs scammers now, so the calls look to be coming from the UK, once they get blocked they spoof another and so the cycle continues.
A reply on a BT forum
As an openreach engineer we had a spate of this occurrence about 18mths ago when the customer reported it to there provider's they would test the line and anything that tested less than perfect they would raise a fault presuming that was causing the issue ,which obviously it never was but I had to repair the line until it tested perfectly including digging up the pavement ,happy days

So, what does that mean? Was the guy who called me, the scammer, or has it been done previously and my number is being used to scam others, i.e. him in some way?

... And what am I supposedly scamming people at? 🤔☺️

classic33

Leg End Member
He sounded a bit like the Major in Fawlty Towers, not a Yorkshire accent, so yes, probably not!
Yorkshire!!!!!!
Yorkshire!!!!!!!........................................... How very dare you. :boxing:
That were my initial thought as well. Then I remembered he'll have to be careful on his next visit to York, avoid straying inside the city walls.

13 rider

Guru
So, what does that mean? Was the guy who called me, the scammer, or has it been done previously and my number is being used to scam others, i.e. him in some way?

... And what am I supposedly scamming people at? 🤔☺️
The miss call received from the guy who returned your call was the scammer and he has somehow got his call to display your number "spoofed" so the original caller thinks it's a legit call . I believe once someone reports or blocks the call the scammer has to spoof another number

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The miss call received from the guy who returned your call was the scammer and he has somehow got his call to display your number "spoofed" so the original caller thinks it's a legit call . I believe once someone reports or blocks the call the scammer has to spoof another number

So old guy was genuine? Ok, thanks.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Sorry, I am sleep deprived here, the old guy wasn't the scammer?

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Ah ok, thanks, I felt bad at being a bit rude by hanging up on him (I was unsure). I read you can complain but it does sod all use, but I do wonder if he knows what it is as he did seem rather doddery. ☺

In other words, I want to call back and find out! ☺️😆

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Our work number got spoofed a couple of years ago, a few weeks getting calls from people complaining they had missed our call and getting irate when we told them it wasn't us before it stopped (I can't remember if we reported it or not as I passed the problem onto our IT department.)

If a number I don't recognise calls either the land line or my mobile I just ignore it.

colly

Re member eR
In my second job l worked in cental London, Great Smith Street. All of our department used to order mid morning snacks from a sandwich shop around the corner. We played a joke on him one day. Every 25 or 30 mins or so one of us would call and ask if a message could be left for Luigi.
'No Luigi here son sorry'
After call number 3 or 4 he was already boiling over. So come mid afternoon just before the place shut for the day.
One of us called him and said:

Hey! This is Luigi. Any messages for me?

He shouted so loud we didn't need a speaker phone.

We did confess the following day and he said he had an idea it was us lot.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
In my second job l worked in cental London, Great Smith Street. All of our department used to order mid morning snacks from a sandwich shop around the corner. We played a joke on him one day. Every 25 or 30 mins or so one of us would call and ask if a message could be left for Luigi.
'No Luigi here son sorry'
After call number 3 or 4 he was already boiling over. So come mid afternoon just before the place shut for the day.
One of us called him and said:

Hey! This is Luigi. Any messages for me?

He shouted so loud we didn't need a speaker phone.

We did confess the following day and he said he had an idea it was us lot.

I remember that on 'Hale And Pace', only it was 'Stinky Pete', not Luigi and it was kids winding one of them up.

Top Bottom