Scam phone call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Just had one of these automated calls from Visa Debit Card, telling me that I had two unauthorised payments of £700 and then £900 taken from my account this morning.

It then said

'Press 1 to cancel these payments'

I just hung up and checked my bank account on another device (it was untouched), but... What would have happened if I had pressed '1'?
Been put though to someone asking me for my details? 🤔🤷

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I had similar a while back. I was in town anyway so hung-up and walked into my bank. The guy in there took one look at the number the call came from; a mobile rather than a landline and said it was clearly a scam. If i get similar that is from a landline number, I'll do the same thing; hang up and check with my bank, either in person or by ringing them.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
If its a mobile, its a scam. Amazed at how many people at work (drives IT here up the wall) open scam emails but never bother checking the origin address which never really matches the staff member the email claims to be from!. Like, UK based staff members aren't going to have an address ending in .jp :blush: .

I once had three scam calls in two days from a mobile number claiming to be from Virgin Media saying there was an issue with my internet connection. No, I replied...I'm using it!.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yeah, I forgot to check the number properly as I was expecting a call from that lovely Nigerian General elsewhere. It'll be on my phone still so just need to block it. Edit: Blocked

I just thought the 'press 1' one bit would fool some less savvy people (I almost did press it just to see what happened 😆).

Last edited:
Pressing "1" can have several effects
1) it can get your number flagged as being a potential viable target - number to be noted and maybe sold to other scam organisations
2) you get put onto a scammer - either real or automated - who will try to extract personal data from you "to confirm your identity" or "to confirm this is your account"

There are probably other options - but all of them could cause problems

Just a couple of notes -
Firstly - if the scam call advises you to ring a number - then DO NOT do so from the phone they rang unless you have confirmed the line has been disconnected. Scammers have been know to duplicate the dialing tone to give the impression that the line has hung up - then pretend to be the bank when you ring a number.
If in doubt ring another number, such as you mobile, from it to confirm the line is clear.

Secondly - report it to whoever you can. Action Fraud, TPS, the bank they are pretending to be and also whocalledme.co.uk
the more information there is out there the better

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Pressing "1" can have several effects
1) it can get your number flagged as being a potential viable target - number to be noted and maybe sold to other scam organisations
2) you get put onto a scammer - either real or automated - who will try to extract personal data from you "to confirm your identity" or "to confirm this is your account"

There are probably other options - but all of them could cause problems

Just a couple of notes -
Firstly - if the scam call advises you to ring a number - then DO NOT do so from the phone they rang unless you have confirmed the line has been disconnected. Scammers have been know to duplicate the dialing tone to give the impression that the line has hung up - then pretend to be the bank when you ring a number.
If in doubt ring another number, such as you mobile, from it to confirm the line is clear.

Secondly - report it to whoever you can. Action Fraud, TPS, the bank they are pretending to be and also whocalledme.co.uk
the more information there is out there the better

Yeah I imagined that pressing 1 would confirm there was someone there, etc.

I just wonder what fun one could've had though! 😆

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom