Do we need a sticky for first time bike buyers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It occurs to me that in the past month or so a fair few new forum members have joined and asked what sort of bike they should be getting. Could we perhaps do with a sticky which says that if you want to do this kind of riding you need this kind of bike with examples of suitable models in various price ranges, also some guidance on second hand bike buying?

Anybody agree?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
No.

Absolutely not.

Oh, sorry - I thought the idea of a forum was to disagree with everything that's said (or is that just Bonj's domain? :biggrin:;)).

Sound like a good idea - unsure exactly how you'd populate it though - i.e. who has sound and reasonable advice and who is just talking out of their ar*e.

Tynan

Veteran
it's the same questions again and again and the same answers again and again, unless some posters have got tired of repeatedly giving the same advice over and over

so yes

domtyler

Über Member
I would say the best indicator would be is most of the responses to these questions are short, terse or non-existent. If people here are still happy to answer questions from new-comers then there is not a problem is there?

I guess what I am saying is that people who have been through a similar process recently may like the opportunity to share their new knowledge with someone else. Why take that away?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It could be worth having some examples of suggested bikes... but it could also get out of date fairly quickly if linking to actual bikes.... but its also nice to welcome new folk and let them feel that its OK to ask questions.

Jaded

Depends whether it is a forum or a set of static pages giving advice.

Maz

Guru
I imagine that newbies value personal replies to their questions rather than having to read a post-it thingy.

HelenD123

Guru
Bikeradar had a good sticky with the best mountain bikes in the current year's models for each price range. Our posts tend to be a bit more varied though so I'm not sure that would work.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think Maz is right about the personal advice but I was thinking more about a general piece modded by somebody with expertise e.g. Mickle.

At the end of the piece there could be a standing invitation for newcomers to feel free to start a thread with their own specific/supplementary questions. I reckon that such a sticky would help them to ask more focussed questions after they have got the basic info which is probably universal.

Top Bottom