Do you count the gear when you ride.?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Presently I’m using a Shimano Alfine which comes with a shifter gear indicator that show 1,6,11, so I’d know approximately what gear I’m engaging. If riding on the familiar road, I’d use the tried and tested gear which give me the best speed (assuming no wind).

I recently bought a new road bike with 2 front cogs, Shimano Ultegra shifters but this is without any indicator. I’d have to constantly keep looking down to check the cassette what gear I’m engaging and thereafter I have to constantly keep the gear no. in mind when I shift and counting.

What’s the proper way to keep track of the gear no. without keeping a count in the mind. Or is it all just by feeling when riding.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's just a feeling when you are riding.

HovR

Über Member
Change gear when you need to. If you run out of gears, pedal harder. Don't worry about what gear number you are in. :tongue:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Single speed means I always know which gear i'm in :P

As for on the geared bike. I just use what ever gear gives me the best cadence for the speed i'm comfortable doing. No need to know which one that is.

gavintc

Guru
By feel, but you need to have a quick look down every so often as I forget if I am in big or small ring at times as it is too easy to go big front, big rear.

byegad

Legendary Member
I just change to the right one for the conditions. Using bar end changers I have a rough idea when I'm getting close to the end of the range so I merely change the big ring then to get back toward the middle of the cassette.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Your legs tell you when to change gear, but agree sometimes end up on the wrong ring at the front - eg big/big or small/small :blush:.

byegad

Legendary Member
Your legs tell you when to change gear, but agree sometimes end up on the wrong ring at the front - eg big/big or small/small :blush:.

:becool: Riding recumbents this is not an issue, all my trikes will ride big/big and small/small without issues :becool: . On my DFs I merely guessed as the changer position gave no hint as to where I was and can't remember often ending up in bad crossover combinations.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My 9 speed Tiagra doesn't complain either - I just feel extreme chain lines are bad practice, leading to excessive wear, then there is the awkward situation when you run out of gears - in big/big, and you have to drop down at the front and rear at the same time. My Veloce setup doesn't like this at all, dropping the chain on occasion, but warns me by the sound of the chain fouling the front changer cage before I end up in that position.

Big boy

i tend to change as and when rather than taking my eyes off the road ahead.
I tend to want to look at the bike computer more than wanting to know what gear im in.
I put a light on my lid so i can se the computer at night, lights up everything on the bars.

Sandra6

Veteran
I used to be a bit obsessed about the gear I was in, but then I had my handle bars adjusted and the gears are in a new position so unless I lean over I can't see the dial.
Now I just go up or down depending how I'm finding the riding, legs spinning - up a gear, feeling tired - down a gear. when I do check I'm invariably in a much higher gear -and riding comfortably - than I expect.

MichaelO

Veteran
I usually have a fair idea - but definitely get it wrong sometimes, going up hills and thinking I have one gear left as a safety net....to find I'm already in it!!

Top Bottom