Do you feel lucky Punk !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

It never rains but pours ! This rear wheel was rebuilt last year. It was only a year old then when it was breaking spokes. Looks like new rim time and I assume new spokes. However some epoxy might keep it steady for now .

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bad luck but I do wonder why people buy carbon rims.

Big John

Guru
If the hub & spokes are ok then providing you find a replacement rim with the same ERD (effective rim diameter) then that will help to keep the cost down. Not sure how much your lbs will charge for a rebuild. I work at a bike charity and we charge around £20. Sometimes, however, it can be cheaper to get a new wheel.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
LBS is £30 , will speak to him. He did after all rebuild it last October . Might give some benefit and he is also building another wheelset for me.

T4tomo

Guru
It is disc brake , Ryde Edge rim can’t remember the size. Anyway it’s toast and I’m rather disappointed.
probably Ok to get you home then, you've effectively got a loose spoke and wheel may be slightly out of true, but you should have clearance to tolerate that, braking is still fine, so its only a catastrophic rim failure to watch out for. I'd be checking it as I ride and taking it easy if any long downhill stretches

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have suffered a lot of this recently!!!! :sad:

Original unbranded rims on my 2018 Kona commuter did this just within a year and less than 2k so I built a replacement set of wheels with my reliable go-to rim supplier, Mavic. Recently the rear rim failed again, also just less than a year old. Hmmmm, very strange, but maybe I did wind up the spokes a bit tight, never been an issue before though.....
I rebuilt that wheel with a new, matching Open-Pro disc UST but was a bit more conservative on the spoke tensions, not loose but also not my usual sqeaky tight :laugh:
That rear wheel then loosened itself to a floppy dishcloth consistency during a commute about 2 months later and having just washed the bike I find the front rim is now also showing cracks developing similar to what killed the previous rear rim!!!
Having read up a bit on the tinterweb I now find that this is common with these rims and Mavic have specified a lower than normal maximum spoke tension which is a problem as it can be difficult to achieve a suitable minimum spoke tension on some dished wheels as a result.

Just this morning ordered two DT R470 rims as replacements so if anyone wants a hardly used Mavic Open-Pro Disc UST 32H rim drop me a line....

I think some of these rims are just pushing the weight boundaries too much and sacrificing longevity and strength to get the headline wheelset weight into the ballpark?

If it's any help, hope you have a spoke key. When my wheel did that on my commute in to work I had to play around loosening spokes off on the way home because after the initial failure the rest followed quite quickly and the wheel began rubbing the frame before I completed the journey. Good luck......

Top Bottom