Do you have a "best mate"? or just a group of good friends?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

My 'Best mate' went to work in the states and couldn't talk about his work.
He took some time off due to psychological stress so came home to Solihull where he committed suicide.

His widow and son don't give much away as to the nature of what he did in the US, but I reckon it was armaments research.

I still have a postcard that he addressed to

Rt Hon. J *** Esquire VC OBE DFC.
Solihull,
Warwickshire,
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Europe.

It got to me... :biggrin:

Chutzpah

Über Member
I have several friends who are useful in different situations - I know which one to lean on depending on the problem.

I'm also not one for just "picking up the phone and ringing", to be honest I get annoyed when people ring "just for a chat" with no real purpose
tongue.gif

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
There is one person who I am probably closer to than any other male friend. But he lives in the UK. He's also the 'godfather'* to our son. But actually now, I have a really nice group of friends of all kinds who all live on the island where I now live - it's quite brilliant really.

*I say 'godfather' because neither of us actually believe in any particular 'god' but it's a honourable role. He asked whether he could chose the god involved and I said 'sure', so he will make sure that our son pays the proper respects to Odin...

slugonabike

I haven't kept in touch with anyone from my school or training days. I have one female 'bezzy friend' whom I have known for more than 20 years, she knows where the bodies are burried. I see her every few weeks but we catch up by e-mail between times. I'm godmother to her youngest son and we've supported each other through some tough times. I also have a male friend who I refer to as my 'best mate', we've known each other about 5 years and get together most weeks for a chat (thank dog that Mr Slugsta is not the jealous type). Apart from that, I have a good circle of people with whom I am friendly but wouldn't class as close friends.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have some friends I know I could rely on, including some CCers!, but I don't rank them, as Roy Jenkins might have said.

Top Bottom