Do you know how old this is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarryG

Not quite classic and vintage, probably not special interest, but can anyone give me a rough age on this Diamondback Wildwood?
FB_IMG_1423329502857.jpg

cheys03

Veteran
Educated guessing here...Early-mid nineties, say 1993-1994. We had the same model bike in the family around that time. It passed to various people before I got it and rode it to work until around 8years ago. From memory, good solid feel but very very heavy!

Hi Garry. I would guess that is most probably mid to late 80's. Indeed the frame and forks look very like that of a Hawk Aspen albeit the brakes were rim brakes - that I bought new from the builder in the West Midlands in circa 1985/1986.
The image makes the frame look longer than it probably is.
Diamondback are now of course part of the Raleigh portfolio. Have you tried their archives/data base or even a phone call to Raleigh Industries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

I have now collected the bike and found that in the last 13 years the bike was stored in a garage unused for 12 years before being sold 12 months ago and has only been used for six of them.

The tyres are the originals and still have the little rubber spike things on (you know what I mean).

Will have a good look tomorrow, so I know it's at least 13 years and it has cantilever brakes, not sure when they stopped with them, gears are Shimano Altus.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a shiny old BSO instead of a shiny new one. Allegros don't get any nicer with the passage of time, and unfortunately neither will the Wildwood.

That version of the dreadful Altus rear mech (non slant parallelogram) makes it a 98-00 model. The grey plastic coloured bits were halfway shiny alloy prior to that. Not as old as you'd think.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've been bored (being off work sick and house bound does that). Been going over the lit on Retrobikes and the spec makes it a 1997 model year machine. Those cantis were only used for 1 year. No name cantis prior, chinese V brakes post. I'm afraid it is really a BSO but a.good pub bike or a commuter you.could afford.to lose.If it gets locked up in public.

U

User42423

I have now collected the bike and found that in the last 13 years the bike was stored in a garage unused for 12 years before being sold 12 months ago and has only been used for six of them.

The tyres are the originals and still have the little rubber spike things on (you know what I mean).

Will have a good look tomorrow, so I know it's at least 13 years and it has cantilever brakes, not sure when they stopped with them, gears are Shimano Altus.

You mean whiskers on the tyre edges.

U

User42423

I believe the 'little spike things' are known as Whiskers.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1997, as @Drago says. A respectable bike, but one of the last years for rigid hardtails. Tange steel frame. Sold at better sporting goods stores, like Dicks', in the States. I looked at one, and determined my old bike wasn't much worse, weight or otherwise, so I didn't buy. Diamondback was a good brand when starting out, they built a fine machine for the money. I later had a Topanga which was very nice. A worthy old machine.

Top Bottom