Do you know what this is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

I think they're parts of a time machine. Which means, there's a time traveller, on a visit from the distant future, stranded somewhere in London who can't get back. If anyone finds him, please get him to pass on next week's Lottery numbers there's a good chap...

Spirograph. Had one of those when I was a kid. All made of perspex (we knew all about health & safety even then). The news story distinctly says 'glass' and I'm sure even the most inept of our Plod can tell the difference...

ChrisKH

Guru
No, they're those revolving platters you get in chip shops for putting your cone shaped chip holder in, surely.

Im with film reels. but glass tho? they are mostly ali.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yeah, they look like film reels, but the material is all wrong. Glass does suggest a laboratory use...

Would be funny if they turned out to be nothing pratical at all, but just a modern art project...;)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
In the picture you can only see the uppermost segment. In the middle of the lower side of the uppermost segment is a hemisphere. In conjunction with the corresponding concave indentation on the lower segment, this device with counteract the cant (the inclination from the horizontal plane) of a tray of drinks during a storm at sea.

The alcoholic beverages will therefore not spill. Its true name is Glarus, as it was originally invented in the Swiss Alpine Canton of that name(eastern central Switzerland) where the land slopes so steeply that it was necessary to have a device to overcome said cant on the tables. Its use in boats is due to a Spanish sailor copying the idea. In Spain it would be known as a Cantina.

Graham O

They look like laboratory autosampler carousels. The holes contain sample jars/beakers/vials and the teeth around the outside are for indexing the carousel so it aligns correctly.

Of course, they could be something else :biggrin:

Tetedelacourse

Graham O said:
They look like laboratory autosampler carousels. The holes contain sample jars/beakers/vials and the teeth around the outside are for indexing the carousel so it aligns correctly.

Of course, they could be something else :biggrin:

Exactly as I first suspected. But then thought no that's rubbish they must be a relative of the Lazy Susan.

Top Bottom