Do you overthink things?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Funny how we call it 'overthinking' ( or over analysing or other positive descriptions etc.) & don't label / recognise it as 'worrying' and then recognise how much time we spend doing it...
I don't see "over" as a positive modifier. It clearly means thinking too much, so not good. Look at other examples:
- overfilled the mug
- overeating
- oversharing
- "this steak is overdone - bring me another!"

These are all bad things!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
...when making a larger purchase - say a second hand car or a new guitar - I will analyse and overanalyse my thoughts, talk myself into and out of making the purchase, loads of times before actually committing to it.
This is why every time we've replaced our car I've agreed that we'll not get a diesel and get an automatic next time because my left knee gets sore on long journeys due to the heaviness of a diesel clutch [at least that's what my physio BIL tells me.

So when the time comes to replace it, I look at the prices for the new automatics and look at the mpg... and talk myself out of it... and my knee still plays up... so this time we'll get an petrol auto, just not a new one!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
One of my favourite movie quotes:

'The more you overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain'

And just to inject a nanoparticle-sized bit of fun into Monday, who said it in which movie?:okay:

BSOh

Über Member
Yes, it's one reason I don't post much beyond jokes and the odd short remark. By the time I've read and reread what I've written, more eloquent people than me have posted exactly what I wanted to say and I just end up clicking "Like" on their post instead.

Edit: I just edited that post as well, as if to prove my point.

Yup this is me too ^_^

yupper, sure do

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Buying stuff. It was easy in the old days, you needed a new widget, read a brief description and if it suited you went ahead and bought it. That method worked 99% of the time.

Now you start reading online reviews, get totally confused, worry about the odd negative comment and take for ever to come to a decision. I have just done that, in fact. I need a new monitor and spent most of yesterday trawling the retail sites, reading the comments and finding review sites everytime I found one that seemed to suit before being put off by something that didn't really matter.

In the end I thought "Sod it", went back to the first one I saw. a Dell, and hit the purchase button.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
That's precisely why I decided it was my duty to breed in a 'haphazard' fashion.

Otherwise my epically intelligent genes would have died out. :laugh:

Trouble is idiocracy is basing its premise on the idea that 'intelligence' is necessarily heritable.

But there's far more to it than that.

And who measures intelligence, and how?

Plus 'cleverness' as given in the examples, can easily be used for selfish purposes that work against a good society, as much as for socially helpful activities.

I know many good hearted people of supposedly 'low IQ' who are of great 'benefit' to the world.

Conversely I also know some proper bright ones, who are total @rshols..

It was a comedy: I laughed first, and asked questions later.

A few years ago my mother confided to me how her own mother responded each time she came bearing news of a bun in the oven (three buns in all). It was basically “How could you?” x 3. This with stable employment and a husband, the latter of which was de rigueur in those days. My father finally asked, with more restraint than most would’ve shown, if she did not expect the young couple to be engaging in normal conjugal relations, which have been known to bear fruit. I imagine my grandmother felt it was all a bit too haphazard, as well.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It was a comedy: I laughed first, and asked questions later.

A few years ago my mother confided to me how her own mother responded each time she came bearing news of a bun in the oven (three buns in all). It was basically “How could you?” x 3. This with stable employment and a husband, the latter of which was de rigueur in those days. My father finally asked, with more restraint than most would’ve shown, if she did not expect the young couple to be engaging in normal conjugal relations, which have been known to bear fruit. I imagine my grandmother felt it was all a bit too haphazard, as well.

I'd be intrigued to know how the grandmother herself prevented too many 'haphazard' progeny.

A very sensible move, for one's own wellbeing.

But I don't think if I'd ever sat myself down and asked myself "Seriously? Is this an ideal world to be bringing children INTO??

Are you 100% ready for this life changing escapade ?

I'd ever had said

" Yes, this is an ideal scenario, for child rearing"

However, you'll be relieved to hear they've somehow managed to emerge into young manhood, as sturdy, and well balanced examples of decent humanity.

Oh, and devastatingly good looking to boot - quite naturally ^_^

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Buying stuff. It was easy in the old days, you needed a new widget, read a brief description and if it suited you went ahead and bought it. That method worked 99% of the time. Now you start reading online reviews, get totally confused, worry about the odd negative comment and take for ever to come to a decision.
YES. You know when you’re reading reviews of mens combs that it’s gone too far. I recently lost my old faithful after a 20-year relationship. Can’t go into a shop and just pick the right one, must comb (sorry) through reviews. So far I’ve bought two, neither of which are a patch on the old one. I'm starting to feel like Goldilocks. You don’t want to see my lockdown hair.

bKnfzAQ.jpg

Needs must.

However, you'll be relieved to hear they've somehow managed to emerge into young manhood, as sturdy, and well balanced examples of decent humanity.
A chip off the ol' aubergine.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Further to the subject of suitable breeding stock, I see another resurrection. Back when when the c-word was all the rage I bought the eponymous Owen Jones book to educate myself on the subject. Alas, I never read it, and a few years ago it didn’t survive a culling of my overstock. (Actually I binned it in a fit of pique over something OJ said. Which was silly of me. And for the record I had to google ‘eponymous’ to make sure I spelt it right.)

Eloi and Morlocks: it’s the future.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
how her own mother responded each time she came bearing news of a bun in the oven (three buns in all). It was basically “How could you?”
Brings to mind a quote I took down t'other night while watching a prog about Queen Victoria's children - responding to a letter in which her daughter, Vicky, reported her pregnancy, Her Maj wrote back "The horrid news has upset us dreadfully."

Top Bottom