Do you remember proper (oilskin) capes & s'westers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just reminiscing to when I were nowt bur-a-lad of 15 (50 years ago:eek:) and used to cycle with those large oilskin capes and S'wester hats. The capes had tabs inside so you could hang it over the handlebars. The hats had massive rims so the rain ran straight down the outside of the cape.......kept you really dry without overheating,

Just managed to google some photos (for those unfortunate to be toooo young to remember) cape.jpg sou\'wester.jpg

dodgy

Sadly, they're way more effective than any of the 'technical' garments you can buy now.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Yes I remember - I also remenber how pleased I was to get one of the NEW plastic versions. My dad never stopped using the genuine articles, kept rolled up and strapped under his saddle. Terrible in the wind. Great to shelter under, off the bike.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Oh God. My Dad bought me a yellow cape (not oilskin but a thick fabric covered in plastic coating - like the sticky backed plastic from Blue Peter) when I was at school and a matching black so'wester. The mickey taking I endured for wearing this out-landish garb you cannot even begin to imagine. It was ok with a tailwind but with headwind you needed legs like tree trunks to stand still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dave - you should go out with the SW London CTC on a Wednesday. They pack their capes on dry days. What's more they could take you to the places they were evacuated to during the war.

compo

Veteran
I use a modern plastic cape in heavy rain. They work best if your bike has mudguards. I have a souwester hat but thankfully it wont fit over my crash helmet :smile:

Paul_L

Über Member
my stepdad still refers to any waterproof garments as "oilskins".

I remember cycling to school dressed like a bloody life-boat crew member. Sweating like god knows what!

Davidc

Guru
If I could get a genuine oilskin cape at a sane price I probably would. I've tried some of the substitutes but none have come near the original for minimal condensation or keeping dry. The oilskin material wasn't clingy either.

I just take waterproof jacket and overtrousers in a breathable fabric now, which work fine and do have a big advantage - they aren't as sail like!

Never did like the sou' wester hats with the brims though.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
If I could get a genuine oilskin cape at a sane price I probably would. I've tried some of the substitutes but none have come near the original for minimal condensation or keeping dry. The oilskin material wasn't clingy either.

I just take waterproof jacket and overtrousers in a breathable fabric now, which work fine and do have a big advantage - they aren't as sail like!

Never did like the sou' wester hats with the brims though.

carradice do one.

www.carradice.co.uk

may have one in the seconds shelf if you can get there in person.

Davidc

Guru
Interesting. The poncho's made of waxed cotton but the cape is polyester! And they're both about twcie what I'd pay for them. Lancashire's a bit far for a shopping trip!

Top Bottom