Do you talk to your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

Bob n Maggie.

RWright

Guru
I talk to Fireball and Red Rocket all the time, sometimes I even sing to them. I have special names for their tires and wheels sometimes too. Not nice ones either.

trampyjoe

My daughter has named my bike for me. Trouble is she also calls all other bikes the same thing - 'daddy'.

She's 17 months and we have the best conversations ... but only because my bike still refuses to talk to me.

Mine are unnamed, but I did talk to my 2nd District after making it up Snake Pass. She doesn't like people commenting on her lack of gears.

I am worried that my 2nd District will be jealous of my foreign Masi. I had to liberate the Masi though, couldn't leave it in Lance's clutches.

I called mine all the names under the sun, riding it up Winnats Pass in the Peak District a couple of weeks ago. ^_^

I was trying to sweet talk mine up Winnats.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Actually I talk to a lot of motorists (not shouting at them), just gently chiding them - then you suddenly realise that it is summertime and that with the windows down they can hear you.

I mutter about motorists all the time - sometimes think it's a running commentary rather like drivers are encouraged to do when under tuition.

Stuff like "Wake up, the lights are green" - " Why are you overtaking me on a blind bend ?" - "Get off the phone, you're supposed to be driving that car" - "Are you thinking of ever using that wing mirror, or shall I take it as a souvenir?" - "Thank you Audi, I know my place is in the gutter" - "Does your husband/wife/boss know you drive like that?" - "It's £800 if you trash my bike, at least" !

If they heard me I'd probably end up with a black eye !

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I mutter about motorists all the time - sometimes think it's a running commentary rather like drivers are encouraged to do when under tuition.

Stuff like "Wake up, the lights are green" - " Why are you overtaking me on a blind bend ?" - "Get off the phone, you're supposed to be driving that car" - "Are you thinking of ever using that wing mirror, or shall I take it as a souvenir?" - "Thank you Audi, I know my place is in the gutter" - "Does your husband/wife/boss know you drive like that?" - "It's £800 if you trash my bike, at least" !

If they heard me I'd probably end up with a black eye !
Yes that sounds like me - except the get off the phone - that one has been shouted several times rather than just muttered! A common one I often mutter is ... "don't mind me - I'm only a cyclist!"

lejogger

Guru
I also have a Claude! But he's mostly retired since the unfortunate rear wheel jamming incident in 2010. He was my first proper bike though and took me to John O'Groats, so very much a favourite.
I also have a Carole, and a Stan... but Stan is mostly called Psycho, because he's a psyclho-cross (see what I did there?)
Carole is precious and beautiful and only allowed out in the sunshine.

I don't really talk TO them though, the names are merely to distinguish between them when talking about them to others (people not bikes).

I (like a few others) do often offer gentle encouragement to myself though... "Come on legs" is a common one.

OP
OP
Juliet42

Juliet42

I also have a Claude! But he's mostly retired since the unfortunate rear wheel jamming incident in 2010. He was my first proper bike though and took me to John O'Groats, so very much a favourite.
I also have a Carole, and a Stan... but Stan is mostly called Psycho, because he's a psyclho-cross (see what I did there?)
Carole is precious and beautiful and only allowed out in the sunshine.

I don't really talk TO them though, the names are merely to distinguish between them when talking about them to others (people not bikes).

I (like a few others) do often offer gentle encouragement to myself though... "Come on legs" is a common one.

I love my Claude, he never lets me down and he's always ready to go for a spin:smile:

Hi, this is my first post on this site, so take pity.
I don't talk to my bike as such, it talks to me. I think it is groaning about the weight it has to carry. My wife and I used to name our car, so why not name your bike? My fridge and freezer talk to me as well, or they make funny noises, you choose. Happy cycling.

Top Bottom