Do you use spd's on your touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
One tip: make sure your cleats stay tightly screwed on to the shoe - if one screw comes loose it will be very difficult to uncleat when you stop!

It happened to me once in the centre of town so I know :tongue:

Bokonon

Über Member
I use double sided SPDs on my touring bike, can't think of any other pedal that would be more suitable. I also use touring shoes (like a less chunky MTB shoe.) They are fine for walking around in, in fact I forget that I am wearing SPD shoes except for the slight clicking sound (sounds like I'm wearing stilletos :biggrin: ) when walking on hard surfaces - on a very light weight tour it would be possible to travel without any additional foot wear.

TimO

Guru
I've been using clipless shoes on my bikes for well over ten years, a lot of it with SPDs. I've been using them for everything. Even my Brompton has them for commuting, after the folding pedal bearings died after way too short a time.

I'd say that they are better for touring than traditional clips and straps. If you're used to just using simple pedals with no mechanism to hold your feet on the pedals, then possibly things might feel strange, but I'd consider SPDs to be the better all round option.

blorg

SPD sandals for me. Once you are used to them they are easier to get out of than toe-clips. Indeed I nearly came off a toe-clipped bike I rented in Spain recently as twisting my ankle didn't disengage my foot from the toe-clips :biggrin:

I can also confirm from more than one bitter experience (most recently Saturday) that you generally _do_ come out of them in the case of a crash.

always -ive used clips/clipless of some sort since I was quite young and feel totally unsafe without them

generally only fall off when clipless going up hill at zero speed when looking for granny gear - OK sort of thing to do as long as there isnt a car right behind you

Keith Oates

Janner
For me it's got to be clipless otherwise it doesn't somehow seem right. I bought some onesided ones and still use them, but the times I ride and not clip in is almost zero!!

Top Bottom