Dodgey hearts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cathryn said:
I think you're all totally correct and I don't want or mean to wallow. It was just a bit of a shock. It's made me incredibly grateful for the health which, to be honest, I totally take for granted and I'm resolving to eat better and exercise better as a result, and that's a good thing.

Cathryn, thank you for sharing... wallowing once in a while is a good thing if the outcome is a positive and sunny disposition results. Your posts here are always a joy and I'm sure you'll be around for many years yet!
Some people live more in a day than others will live in a lifetime.

graham56

Guru
Nothing permanent thank god, but seven years ago at 4am on a saturday i was rushed in to the RVI in Newcastle suffering with terrible chest pains. Thought my number had been called.After a week in hospital and numerous tests i was told i had a viral myocarditis.No problems ever since but at the time a hell of a fright, oh and 3 months on the sick.

D

Deleted member 1258

I developed angina this time last year, last July had four stents put in. Now pretty much back to normal, pain free and getting on with my life, but very aware of my own mortality.

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
I have a leaking and slightly enlarged heart valve, I'm not on any medication but I get scanned every 6 months and a check up every 3. They tell me if it gets any worse I will be getting a valve replacement, fortunatly theres been no change for the past 2 years. The doctors told me to keep exercising to keep the heart strong to improve the chances of surviving the op and to improve recovery, so I keep peddling.
I had a treadmill test just before Christmas they took me up to about my max heart rate (183 bpm) for a few minutes and were pleased with the results, that gave me the confidence to push myself a bit harder than I have been. I don't think about it anymore, I just enjoy life and if theres something I want to do I just do it.xx(

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Six or so years ago, I was severely restricted in what I could do by extreme fatigue, breathlessness and oedema of my lower legs. Walking back home from the Post Office at the end of my street needd at least to rests to get my breath back. After a few appointments and blood tests with my GP, I was offered the tentative diagnosis of heart failure. I can't begin to describe how terrified I felt. A sequence of non invasive tests took place over the ensuing 18 months including extra tests when it was discovered that I had asymmetric blood pressure i.e. right hand side was significantly higher than the left.

During the investigations I bought a bike and started small but regular loops that quite quickly increased in size. Within five months I had completed a C2C but was still being investigated and encouraged to continue with the cycling.

The tests eventually drew a blank but by the time I was 'signed off' my blood pressure had dropped to the n mid range of 'good for my age' and my resting pulse is close to that of a sloth. A recent blip with the local health centre's self monitoring b.p machine which placed my blood pressure in the high enough to require chemical intervention category leed to me donating an armful of blood for further testing and me being booked in for an ECG.

Everything is still fine. The self monitoring machine needed a service!

Just need to shed Cathryn's weight in lard and I'd be ready for a PBP or LEL audax.

Just about to set of for a DIY 100km Audax to Darlington
Thursday I'm doing a 100km audax between Knaresborough and Pocklington
Saturday I'm doing the 120km Mini North West Audax in Rochdale
Sunday I'm canal towpath riding out by Hebden Bridge before going to the Trades club to see The Ukrainians.

Heart failure...pah!

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thank you everyone for being so open, and thanks FF for your lovely post. Looks like we're all a bunch of dodgy-hearted cyclists so at least I'm in good company.

Right...new day...off to live my life to its fullest. Might avoid fried food though :sad:

Arch

Married to Night Train
As far as I know, my heart's fine (famous last words...). But all the best to anyone with any health issue. We do take health for granted sometimes...

Tynan

Veteran
I have a not especially resting heart rate of 37, recently noticed after some test to see why I got very dizzy after standing up sharply, I also nod off if I sit too long, not good for my office job

cardio test in a few weeks but a something block is expected to be the diagnosis

apart from the above, I feel fine, perhaps a bit low in energy eyc

but I'm doing the best cycling of my life so how bad can it be? I did expect to die when I first found out, taking my pulse is an unerving experience, every third beat missing and sometimes the second one two, erractic, yikes

ChrisKH

Guru
Mmmn, yes it must be your age. :biggrin:

Not heart related, but I was close to pegging it in 2001 and then had major surgery in January 2002. It took a year to recover and I got back on my bike for the first time since I was 17 soon after surgery. It does make you value things more. I'm aware of one or two people who post here who are now in that same position and it is a hard road initially. I want to send out positive vibes to all those struggling with an illness or disability, however temporary.

We could have a scar comparison thread. Location permitting. :sad:
Mine's 13" long, but I'm glad to say it has long since faded. Except where the surgeon went round the belly button. :tongue:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
dave r said:
I developed angina this time last year, last July had four stents put in. Now pretty much back to normal, pain free and getting on with my life, but very aware of my own mortality.
Wow!
A special buy-one get-one free deal?
Amazing how you feel instantly better after the op... apart from the big bruise on your leg.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
ChrisKH said:
We could have a scar comparison thread. Location permitting. ;)
Mine's 13" long, but I'm glad to say it has long since faded. Except where the surgeon went round the belly button. ;)

My scar's fab!! 30cm long and right down between my boobs!!! I love it!

Top Bottom