dodgy knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Any doctors on board?
I have arthritis in both knees...first diagnosed about 3 yrs ago (I'm mid 40s). I cycle as much as I can, and jog occasionally and also walk 5-6 miles a day. Cut down on jogging and playing footy, but when I do, my knees hurt for a day or 2 afterwards. I try to do non-weight-bearing stuff, so cycling doesn't make them hurt. Neither does rowing (I have a machine). I met an older guy (60+) out cycling, walking his bike along country lane. Asked him if anything wrong, and he said it's just me knees, arthritis you know, just giving them a rest. I said "Ooh, I've got that", and he took a sharp intake of breath, pursed his lips and said ominously "It gets worse, you know"...
so, how bad does it have to get before i can get some new ones put in?

Fnaar said:

Get the new ones once you've saved up enough money! :biggrin:

One of my mates here has had a dodgy knee for years (arthritis) but the only time he isn't in pain or inconvenienced is when he cycles.
Another can run without too much difficulty, but is in quite a bit of pain when he plays golf (which is his favourite sport).
The best bet is to have a word with a 'sports doctor' and see what course of action you should take, and avoid 'quacks' like me on the forum! :biggrin:
Good luck!

Similiar but not as bad as you. Same 'ish age, knees click and ache after heavy excercise and also lack the flexibility I once had. Strangely running is still OK but a days hill walking leaves them aching as does cycle touring in the rain and wet!

I'm trying Cod liver oil tablets: I've got a really glossy coat now but I don't yet if it's improved my joints :biggrin:. A freind swears by them though, says it makes a real difference to his hands. Heat helps. One of those wheat cushions you heat up in the microwave wrapped around the knee is good.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Cheers
They're not actually normally painful, but they are after running or footy...I do the fish oil thang too, plus glucosamine...was just wondering how long it might take till walking etc become (literally) a pain...a bit difficult without being inside my knee (it was spandex's x-rays which made me think of it)... my knees going upstairs make one hell of a racket! :biggrin:

Blue

Legendary Member
As you can guess from my sign-off, I too have knee problems. :biggrin:

Last year I had an MRI scan at my local sports clinic and was told "there's nothing an orthopaedic surgeon can do for you, but I hope it doesn't put you off the cycling" My reply was "no, even if I need a zimmer to get to the bike I'll keep cycling" to which the retort was "that's the spirit".

My situation is that whilst cycling I don't have any problem. It's climbing steps and turning as I walk etc that create problems. As far as I'm concerned I've been given the green light to soldier on until my knees pack up and that is exactly what I will do. Strangely enough, I was discussing my knees when out walking with Mrs Blue last night and we both ended the discussion with the hope that treatments will have improved somewhat by the time my knees give up the ghost - stem cell research and all that!!

Best of luck with your own situation. :biggrin:

red_tom

Woo-hoo! Thanks Fnaar! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

radger

Veteran
Fnaar said:

I don't know about how bad, but I was told by the orthopaedic surgeon at the age of about 22 that I would need a replacement. And that the NHS wouldn't provide one until I was over 60 as the replacements need replacing every 15-20 years, so they don't do it until there's a low chance that this will be needed (he could have been spouting rubbish for all I know)

(So, for the next 30 years I have to make do with a big sticking plaster to pull my kneecap sideways so the back of it doesn't scrape across the joint every time I bend my leg :biggrin: )

Blue

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:
Cheers
I do the fish oil thang too, plus glucosamine! :biggrin:

Neither of those helped me.

I found devils claw to be of some use - after trying just about every health food remedy I could find.

I've never heard of the gin & raisins before - that's worth a try :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
I've got one dodgy knee and the other may follow. It won't stop me cycling though. I asked my surgeon for advice on cycling and his was 'get out of the saddle as little as possible and leave the f*&^*&g hills alone'.:biggrin:

Sound advice, which I have taken (more or less).:biggrin:

Top Bottom