Dodgy overtake again...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The first time I watched it I didn't think it was too close. However, when I watched it a second time paying a bit more attention to the road position it did look very close. :sad: The truck pulled back in way too early! It almost looked like you had to break to avoid it, did you?

That looks like a difficult road to cycle down, it isn't very wide, the traffic travels significantly faster than you and there is not much room to overtake safely, due to oncoming traffic. If it wasn't for the fact that you would seriously hold up traffic I would want to be in the primary position there.

The problem with the cameras is that depending on the angle, daylight, etc it can make cars look closer or further away than they really are. What we need is some system that can measure distance.

PrettyBoyTim, have you had any luck building the ultrasound range finder yet?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, going in that direction (into London) is not so bad because you can go fast downhill. This time I was on the fixed and thus only at about 20mph. On the bent I'd have been at 30 there, it's a 40 limit and when there's less traffic most people seem to do 50.

It's much more difficult coming the other way as that's quite a steep little climb. So far I've sat in the left hand wheel track, but I really think I ought to be in the middle of the lane. Easy on the 'bent at speed, harder on the fixed because I let myself feel too much psychological pressure on behalf of the motorists behind me.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I guess this is stating the bleeding obvious, but would it help to get the bar end in the shot so one can compare how close they get? Probably means a bike mounted camera tho'

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's mounted on my drops. :sad:

You can get an idea from the good overtakes, which were mostly quite close but still acceptable. Compare with the scaffolding overtake, and you'll see that was very close.

Good production there mikey.

What prog did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Also what happened to the sound?

Cheers.

Also about the close overtake I just think the van driver was impatient and probably with your positioning on the road would be like following behind a tractor which is a slow moving vehicle.

If I can I try and let them pass and dont normally cycle so far out.Of course that isn't right according to the rulebook of god knows what apparently.

Im not slagging you off because it looks a difficult road to cycle along althoug I dont mind admitting it that I would probably cycle closer to the pavement.

Oh and when do motorists abide by the highway code?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Luckily most of the road is nice and wide, there are only a few narrow bits. I've tried riding where I think you would ride Terminator, and the result is that usually I have 4 or 5 close overtakes per ride. Riding further out is defo better, but as with any solution, doesn't entirely eliminate all the problems.

Something else I should have done is turned round and stared at the driver, my look back was more of a glance and that's not enough.

Thanks on the comments on the video edit. I just used windows movie maker on XP for the video, really quick and easy to use. I chopped the sound, since it's just roaring and a little bit of me shouting "Bloody Hell, you IDIOT!". LOL!!

gazzaputt

Scaffold lorry what else would you expect. Complain? They tell you to F**k off.

Most scaffolders I know are dumb f**ks.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Micky, I tend to coast when anything bigger than a transit van overtakes as they all tend to pull in once the front of the vehicle has passed.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
gazzaputt said:
Scaffold lorry what else would you expect. Complain? They tell you to F**k off.

Most scaffolders I know are dumb f**ks.

It's quite possible, but it's also possible that a letter addressed to the company will result in the driver being called in to explain his actions.

Oh wow I bet he's scared.

Seriously.I don't have that many close overtakes just the odd one every now and again (touchwood) and I do ride primary more than I have ever done before.

Had some (kids?) in a van tonight spray water which landed on my legs as it went past.It surprised me so much causing me to lose concentration and almost fall off.I then sussed where it came from (as they gave it away) and swore at the twats and whacked the van with my fist.Twat of a van driver didnt stop.

I dont normally whack peoples vehicles with my fist.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Terminator;119951 Had some (kids?) in a van tonight spray water which landed on my legs as it went past.It surprised me so much causing me to lose concentration and almost fall off.I then sussed where it came from (as they gave it away) and swore at the twats and whacked the van with my fist.Twat of a van driver didnt stop. [/quote said:
Usually its young kids pratting about like this. If I've got the reg, I'll report it. Doesn't take long. My reasoning being I bet a lot of these still live with their parents and either are out in mum or dads car or mum and dad are doing the insurance with them as second driver to 'keep the costs down' ;)

Hopefully if plod comes round to have a word, their parents are aware.:sad:

Apart from that, it can't hurt to have one more 'assault on cyclist' on the books

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Terminator, do you think there'd be more effect if I didn't do anything? At least complaining gives a small chance of bringing consequences to and altering this driver's behaviour.

BentMikey said:
Terminator, do you think there'd be more effect if I didn't do anything? At least complaining gives a small chance of bringing consequences to and altering this driver's behaviour.

Good point mikey.Sorry.

Probably right Gambette.It really was a crap ride back.

I can never understand why I become invisible to peds.:sad:

&th commute.2 days off now.Then 7 more again arghhhhhhhhhhh.

Top Bottom