Does a turbo trainer put stress on a frame ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
one thing to be aware of is sweat, especially around the cable braze ons

RedBike

They must stress the frame. On my Ribble when I pedal hard I can see the bottom bracket rock from side to side.

Never ever heard of anyones frame failing as a result of using a turbo though.

This has been asked before and I think the general consensus was no but you don't want to be doing too much out of the seat stuff.

gavintc

Guru
I was a 1 day turbo course last weekend and one of my questions to the instructor (Peter Read) was just this one. He reckoned there was no damage that would not be imparted from normal road use and he and the people he coaches had used a wide range of frame types with no damage over a 20 yr period. I specifically asked him to confirm his opinion on carbon in a turbo - he was most emphatic - no damage. He trains a wide range of cyclists,

if anyone gets a chance to go on one of his course - excellent training value and I learnt a lot from the session.

OP
OP
N

Nicensleazy

gavintc said:
I was a 1 day turbo course last weekend and one of my questions to the instructor (Peter Read) was just this one. He reckoned there was no damage that would not be imparted from normal road use and he and the people he coaches had used a wide range of frame types with no damage over a 20 yr period. I specifically asked him to confirm his opinion on carbon in a turbo - he was most emphatic - no damage. He trains a wide range of cyclists,

if anyone gets a chance to go on one of his course - excellent training value and I learnt a lot from the session.

Could you let me have the info please, cheers

Young Un

I think the only major stress being put on the frame is when you mount the bike as you aren't able to lean it over so you end up tryiong to pull the frame towards you, almost as if you were trying to bend it. To get round this i put my feet on the top of the turbos legs and then put my hands on the bars and slide forward into the saddle - putting no sidewards stress on the frame.

Steve

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Young Un said:
I think the only major stress being put on the frame is when you mount the bike as you aren't able to lean it over so you end up tryiong to pull the frame towards you, almost as if you were trying to bend it. To get round this i put my feet on the top of the turbos legs and then put my hands on the bars and slide forward into the saddle - putting no sidewards stress on the frame.

Steve
I put a large brick on the ground just behind the pedal and use it as a 'mounting stane'. Also for dismounting when wobbly-legged :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It is necessary to stress the frame to make it hard. If you don't stress it it becomes weak and useless and won't want to go out in the rain.

gavintc

Guru
Nicensleazy said:
Could you let me have the info please, cheers

Not much more to add. We got onto talking about types of turbo and the costs. I asked him whether carbon could be used as some of the others in the group had carbon bikes for the session. There were about 12-15 of us in a church hall. He made a comment - no damage and I asked him again to make absolutely certain of his opinion. He claimed to train a wide range of cyclists many of whom use carbon/titanium/alu in the turbo and none of them has suffered any damage in his 20 yrs as a coach.

mr-marty-martin

well i prefur to use rollers, allot more intresting imo. although people keep going on about the resistance isnt the same blah blah blah, a mean it isnt that much differance, plus you can put resistanc eunits on some. And me training for the road season i find it easier to spin faster, which is a key factor in road racing ive been told, istead of turning big gear. not sure if rollers put any stress on the bike...

Top Bottom