Does Adventure cycling exist nowadays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Who on here would leave phone,gps behind heading out somewhere new. Everyone must think that they must have a ( insurance policy) phone and GPS. . Edit . take just money , no credit card for unexpected costs etc. Now that would be an adventure but an adventure that not many would attempt. Did anyone listen to Jeremy Vine yesterday?

simongt

Guru
I'm happy to just take cash, but would always take my cellphone as I tend to ride minor rural roads so if, in the very unlikely event of there being an 'incident', at least I can contact someone / authority useful to assist. :okay:

Who on here would leave phone,gps behind heading out somewhere new. Everyone must think that they must have a ( insurance policy) phone and GPS. . Edit . take just money , no credit card for unexpected costs etc. Now that would be an adventure but an adventure that not many would attempt. Did anyone listen to Jeremy Vine yesterday?

I don't use GPS at all as it's far too complicated, so I guess I land in that category.

I do plan ahead a lot. The way I see it, planning means I get to enjoy the ride twice: once virtually and once in reality.

Last edited:

HelenD123

Guru
Adventure isn't just about navigation and whether or not you get lost. It's about the people you meet along the way. Those unplanned and random interactions can lead to all sorts of adventures. I met Canada's biggest honey producer in a cafe in the middle of nowhere and got whisked off for a tour of his factory.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
A factory tour ? That just something one might do . Done a cheese factory tour in a big cave in France ( only because the place had an outlet) why would I consider that an adventure. Meeting people is just a normal thing to do when travelling,unless you don't want to interact with others .

Adventure isn't just about navigation and whether or not you get lost. It's about the people you meet along the way. Those unplanned and random interactions can lead to all sorts of adventures. I met Canada's biggest honey producer in a cafe in the middle of nowhere and got whisked off for a tour of his factory.

Absolutely right.

I've found that my appearance and unusual bike tends to invite conversation which is fairly Ironic for someone who is very introverted and who can happily spend a weekend with no interaction whatsoever.

As an example, I often wear an Akubra hat because it's practical, and today I was travelling on the train with my Brompton. A family with a couple of kids, probably about three and five years old, were opposite. I could hear a whispered discussion, and then the older of the siblings came over and asked:

"Excuse me, why do you wear a Cowboy Hat?"

This was followed by questions about my name, then the Brommie and how it works. As we were getting off at the same stop they also got to see how it unfolds, which frankly is still and adventure in itself because I have a tendency to get it wrong...

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I often head off with no plan, no map. I'm a real adventurer.

Mind you I'm always home in time for tea! ;)

Top Bottom