Does Adventure cycling exist nowadays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
As far as everyone knows I'm ok, but in reality I need a long bike ride!

Cannot find the image ATM!

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
It might. But any issues with that credit card you're carrying is going to be a whole world of hassle without a phone.
There's the security and comfort it can give to friends and family left behind.

Judging by your posts on here carrying a phone is something you do, no?
True but I don't call it Adventure cycling its going touring. As for the credit/debit card don't you carry 2 cards from different banks, and a note of the banks call centre. People are helpful and would let you call up if needed.

I don't call it Adventure cycling its going touring.
I couldn't give two hoots what you call it. We all ride our own adventures.

It's a pity that someone with your experience comes across as so exclusionary.
As for the credit/debit card don't you carry 2 cards from different banks
I don't, no.

However, there are an ever increasing number of online only banks that can offer different utility and security in conjunction with a more traditional bank for long distance travellers. Or even adventurers.

and a note of the banks call centre.
A note of the bank's call centre? ^_^ It wouldn't survive!
Is that number accessible from abroad?
Besides, my bank won't do any serious business with me over the phone and I'd be wary of any that did, these days.

People are helpful and would let you call up if needed.
Ignoring your inconsistent attitude to random people helping out a person in difficulty, I wouldn't recommend discussing personal financial details within earshot of strangers. Or given how easy it is to record a call on a phone these days I'd be wary of such an approach. Ditto, given how important my phone is to me, I'd be very reluctant to share it with a stranger.

The fact of the matter is that very, very few of us, (and that number shrinks all the time) can function without regular access to the internet and the services it provides. Even if we wanted to.
My credit card won't function without my phone. If I make a payment to a "new" account I have to approve it in the app.
Many borders require online registration in advance of crossing - at a time when internet cafés are disappearing. Doing security sensitive communication on public machines is a security nightmare anyway. Need to make an emergency phonecall in most of western Europe? Good luck finding a public phone!

It would be a foolish person to head off across international borders without a phone or some regular means of identifying themselves online. And a way of recovering that utility in a "worst case scenario".

This is an important topic, one that can leave adventurers (or 'just tourists') up a creek when things go wrong, especially if travelling solo. It merits a bit more discussion than pithy, opinionated judgements.

And, as always, there are others to consider than just me, the traveller. "Managing" the expectations of those at home can be hard enough even with a phone. Heading off to parts unknown, uncontactable, with just a map and a call centre number scribbled down could be seen as selfish.

Jameshow

Veteran
I couldn't give two hoots what you call it. We all ride our own adventures.

It's a pity that someone with your experience comes across as so exclusionary.

I don't, no.

However, there are an ever increasing number of online only banks that can offer different utility and security in conjunction with a more traditional bank for long distance travellers. Or even adventurers.

A note of the bank's call centre? ^_^ It wouldn't survive!
Is that number accessible from abroad?
Besides, my bank won't do any serious business with me over the phone and I'd be wary of any that did, these days.

Ignoring your inconsistent attitude to random people helping out a person in difficulty, I wouldn't recommend discussing personal financial details within earshot of strangers. Or given how easy it is to record a call on a phone these days I'd be wary of such an approach. Ditto, given how important my phone is to me, I'd be very reluctant to share it with a stranger.

The fact of the matter is that very, very few of us, (and that number shrinks all the time) can function without regular access to the internet and the services it provides. Even if we wanted to.
My credit card won't function without my phone. If I make a payment to a "new" account I have to approve it in the app.
Many borders require online registration in advance of crossing - at a time when internet cafés are disappearing. Doing security sensitive communication on public machines is a security nightmare anyway. Need to make an emergency phonecall in most of western Europe? Good luck finding a public phone!

It would be a foolish person to head off across international borders without a phone or some regular means of identifying themselves online. And a way of recovering that utility in a "worst case scenario".

This is an important topic, one that can leave adventurers (or 'just tourists') up a creek when things go wrong, especially if travelling solo. It merits a bit more discussion than pithy, opinionated judgements.

And, as always, there are others to consider than just me, the traveller. "Managing" the expectations of those at home can be hard enough even with a phone. Heading off to parts unknown, uncontactable, with just a map and a call centre number scribbled down could be seen as selfish.

Do I need two credit cards, 3 phones, 2 gps travellers cheques, spare tyre and spokes for going over into Lancashire?!🤔🤣🤔🤣

https://semi-rad.com/2016/04/chart-did-you-have-a-good-adventure/

did-you-have-a-good-adventure.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Here is another one, who needs Komoot. Do you just pick one or study a good map with contours? The mineros one might be hard, they like it when the ore has to go down and the empty trucks go up.

1000020137.jpg

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
True but I don't call it Adventure cycling its going touring. As for the credit/debit card don't you carry 2 cards from different banks, and a note of the banks call centre. People are helpful and would let you call up if needed.

Off you go then.
I expect you to start filling this part of the forum with your adventuress within days.

It would beat moaning about how other people live their lives.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
The adventure is in your head.

Find this negative thread bias so depressing. It's a kind of narcissistic click bait.

Going for a loaf of bread on my trike (the one with the little steel box on the back) was a Trip when I was three or four. All the way to the corner shop. And back.

Cycling from school to a local civil war battle site with twenty other nine year olds and two nutty teachers was a Trip.

Round the coast of Britain. A Trip.

Etcetera.

Every ride is an adventure. All about opening your eyes.

Everything has been said. I hear more negative armoury being constructed already and can't be bothered with the scrap.

Do it. Don't type about it.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
The adventure is in your head.

Find this negative thread bias so depressing. It's a kind of narcissistic click bait.

Going for a loaf of bread on my trike (the one with the little steel box on the back) was a Trip when I was three or four. All the way to the corner shop. And back.

Cycling from school to a local civil war battle site with twenty other nine year olds and two nutty teachers was a Trip.

Round the coast of Britain. A Trip.

Etcetera.

Every ride is an adventure. All about opening your eyes.

Everything has been said. I hear more negative armoury being constructed already and can't be bothered with the scrap.

Do it. Don't type about it.
The adventures may be in your head , but when do they become real. A photo is worth a thousand words and takes seconds to post. When we were young everything new was an adventure. No use talking about the distant past its today and tomorrow that matters.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
The adventures may be in your head , but when do they become real. A photo is worth a thousand words and takes seconds to post. When we were young everything new was an adventure. No use talking about the distant past its today and tomorrow that matters.

You bemoan needing a smartphone in one breath and want evidence that I've been round the globe on a bike in the next breath. Make your mind up.

I think you're confused. The adventure is entirely in one's head. None of it needs your approval, not your definition. My friend who died from MND had as many valid adventures from his mobility chair while we bombed about the mountain.

Adventure is not the preserve of the young. Again, it is a mindset.

My early cycling fun is still with me. And informs and teaches me still. One good reason to reach to what happened is to learn, no? And to connect with that early sense of what it felt like to be free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Most peoples definition of Adventure is far removed from reality. Now if you lived in the middle ages and travelled,zoom in on this . I don't think any of us could do a pilgrimage with the resources they had. Adventure just like Awesome is a word that is often used to describe the mundane . Its modern life everything is hyped up. End of my comments on this thread.

1000020039.jpg

Top Bottom