Does any one know more about this sign?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nusakan

Hey there!,
I am a cyclist living in Wales/ Cardiff.

We have been told off by pedestrians who were walking on the trail path which we often take on a number of occasions. They have stated that no cycling is allowed according to sign "which i Attached a photo of it to this thread". We been riding on this path for almost 3 years now and according to one of the pedestrian , this sign was up there since last Christmas.

We feel so bad that our usual trailer path is stolen from us T.T. It is probably one of the best short path for off road cycling in the center of the city. However, we wanted to confirm that this sign was truly been placed by local authorities. so we done some search on the net. Which we couldn't find any result regarding to banning of cycling on an area that is considered a Site of interest for Natural Conservation.

Are there anyone one on this form who knows more about this sign? Is it truly means no cycling? is it done by legal authorities? is it illegal by law to ride on a path that has this sign?

sign.JPG

Thank you so much.

midlife

Guru
Not sure it has any legal standing. The national ones in the highway code are valid and if it's a local authority then it should be "by order".

no%20cycling%20by%20order%202014-05-04.jpg

D

Deleted member 23692

It's more than likely put up by someone who has an 'interest' in the land, be it Local Authority, land owner/manager or some wildlife organisation. Unless there is a right to cycle across the land then it nothing more than a 'formal' request not to do so

winjim

Smash the cistern
According to Wikipedia, there are Sites of Nature Conservation Interest (SNCI) and Sites of Importance for Nature Conservation(SINC) but not Sites of Interest for Nature Conservation. It also states these are terms used in England. I would have thought that a no cycling sign would require a specific bylaw. Maybe check with the Welsh local goverment website?

OP
OP
N

Nusakan

Thanks so much for all the answers everyone! We will be giving a call to Welsh Local government sometimes next week to get more information about this. I'll post the result once we get some answers from the local authorities.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hey there!,
I am a cyclist living in Wales/ Cardiff.

We have been told off by pedestrians who were walking on the trail path which we often take on a number of occasions. They have stated that no cycling is allowed according to sign "which i Attached a photo of it to this thread". We been riding on this path for almost 3 years now and according to one of the pedestrian , this sign was up there since last Christmas.

We feel so bad that our usual trailer path is stolen from us T.T. It is probably one of the best short path for off road cycling in the center of the city. However, we wanted to confirm that this sign was truly been placed by local authorities. so we done some search on the net. Which we couldn't find any result regarding to banning of cycling on an area that is considered a Site of interest for Natural Conservation.

Are there anyone one on this form who knows more about this sign? Is it truly means no cycling? is it done by legal authorities? is it illegal by law to ride on a path that has this sign?

View attachment 55994

Thank you so much.
I'd say a close copy of the real thing which in your area is known as Sites of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINCs) and details are available on our website. http://www.biodiversitywales.org.uk/75/en-GB/Cardiff

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks so much for all the answers everyone! We will be giving a call to Welsh Local government sometimes next week to get more information about this. I'll post the result once we get some answers from the local authorities.
Natural Environment Group
Cardiff Council
Room 132
City Hall
Cathays Park
Cardiff CF10 3ND

Phone: 02920 871 382
Email: mbharris@cardiff.gov.uk

OP
OP
N

Nusakan

I'd say a close copy of the real thing which in your area is known as Sites of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINCs) and details are available on our website. http://www.biodiversitywales.org.uk/75/en-GB/Cardiff

Edit: I got a feeling you quoted the bit where you mentioned "details are available on our website". But i will assume that your actually working with biodiversity. if not I am sorry for asking the questions to the wrong individual at advance ^.^

Firstly, let me thank you for the information classic33. I have been to the website and I can't seem to find a clear explanation of the sign that has been put in place. The trailer which the (SINCs) sign in place is known as Blackweird Woodland trail.

There is one paragraph that i was interested on the website link you have provided. "Other sites are non-statutory because they are regulated by policy rather than legislation. In Cardiff these are known as Sites of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINCs) and details are available on our website."

Before asking my questions allow me to agree that I am and surely all the mountain bikers on this forum, more then happy to abide rules which are lay down for Conserving natural environment (whether if its a non-statutory policy or a statutory legislation laws). After all the Nature itself is what makes mounting biking fun for us.

- According to the sign has been placed, my assumption is that no cycling is allowed in a place that has a (SINCs) sign . Am I correct ?
- If the assumption is correct then;
  • what sort of damage cycling can make on a trailer path that is passing through a SINCs signed sites compared to a pedestrian who's taking a dog walk?
  • if we ignore the sign and continue cycling, then are we doing something illegal?
- if it is not correct, by that what i mean is if cycling is allowed;
  • Is there any way that we can ask the local authorities to get rid of the cycling with a cross sign on it so that pedestrians don't assume that this path is belongs only to pedestrians?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

Unfortunately it's not that simple.

Is the land publicly or privately owned?
What is the status of current public access - definitive rights of way, defacto, permissive or open access (Crow or similar)?
What is the reason it's important to nature conservation?

What is a 'trailer path'?

Top Bottom