does anybody else ride like this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Dickhead.

Reactions: 4F

young Ed

Veteran
couldn't help but laugh!
TBH if i were driving the JCB and someone like that crashed into the back of me i would jump out check the JCB for damage/scratches and when i was satisfied i would have just driven off :smile:
Cheers Ed

winjim

Smash the cistern
JCB driver's fault, apparently.

Screenshots_2014-12-19-17-55-50.png

young Ed

Veteran
JCB driver's fault, apparently.

View attachment 74744
*have time to brake

he couldn't brake because he didn't have brakes!

cyclists fault for bumper hugging him
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Technically the pedals on a fixie are the brakes, aren't they?
Which is why fixies in this country are only required to have a front brake worked by a lever on the handlebars.

Don't know how effective the fixed wheel thingy is at braking though.

young Ed

Veteran
Technically the pedals on a fixie are the brakes, aren't they?
Which is why fixies in this country are only required to have a front brake worked by a lever on the handlebars.

Don't know how effective the fixed wheel thingy is at braking though.
not ridden fixie but i would imagine if you had elephant thighs and could just stop the cranks dead it would be pretty effective, although i wouldn't really call it a brake as all you are doing is just stopping all drive to the wheels not slowing the bike down with the potential ability to have the drive train still moving, if that makes sense

may be law to have only front brake but he had NO brakes
Cheers Ed

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
not ridden fixie but i would imagine if you had elephant thighs and could just stop the cranks dead it would be pretty effective, although i wouldn't really call it a brake as all you are doing is just stopping all drive to the wheels not slowing the bike down with the potential ability to have the drive train still moving, if that makes sense

Cheers Ed
But as I understand it, a fixie doesn't have a freewheel, so if you can stop the pedals the wheel should also stop moving .... the drive train would not continue to move if you stopped the pedals.
... or are we talking at cross purposes here?

young Ed

Veteran
But as I understand it, a fixie doesn't have a freewheel, so if you can stop the pedals the wheel should also stop moving .... the drive train would not continue to move if you stopped the pedals.
... or are we talking at cross purposes here?
TBH i think we are both confusing each other here! i did say 'if that makes sense' and reading through it it does sound hard to make any sense of

basically when you stop pedalling on a fixie the bike stops entirely where as with a free wheel and conventional brakes they take time to slow you down and you can, with a bit of effort, keep pedalling whilst applying the brakes
Cheers Ed

Cheers Ed

Law says you need two working brakes. A fixed gear may count as a brake.

His braking, even with thighs like the Hulk is severely affected, as about 80 percent (Sheldon has the figures) of the braking force on a bicycle is achieved with the front brake.

Go out and try using just your rear brake on a ride and you'll see. :smile:

Top Bottom