Does anybody know about cheap compact cameras?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm after something small and light that fits in a pocket, costs under £100 and does the needful as a point and shoot camera. I don't need video but I'll probably get it. I have absolutely no need for manual over-rides etc. I have no ambitions to be creative. I just want something that I can carry, whip out, and snap with really easily. I was thinking of either a Panasonic Lumix DMC SZ3 or the SZ7 version. With a soft case, the whole shebang weighs about 160 grams, I think.

Would either of those fit my modest needs? Thank you.

Cyclist33

i replaced my lumix fs10 recently. it was the absolute budget of the range when i got it two years ago. image quality wise, it was better than the samsung st200f i got last month in its place.

the samsung has wifi tho, which is cool, and great macro.

those that you mention will im sure be fine.

lots of deals on sony samsung canon etc at argos, tesco etc at the mo.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks C33. I'm a complete Luddite. WiFi, GPS, video etc...I don't need or want them. Just small with good image quality. Herr Doktor Auto is my friend.:smile:

I've always found Canon to be pretty reliable with good picture quality and great point and shoot features. Not sure what's available at the moment but I'm sure there will be something in the Powershot range that will be in your budget.

I had and Ixus several years ago, I forget the model but it was beautifully made with a solid metal body and gave great picture quality. Bought the powershot G7 when that first came our and it's still going strong.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks al79. Actually, the budget isn't a great constraint. I just don't need a whole lot of features and add-ons that up the price. Small and simple would suit me well. I'm probably never going to view the jpegs on a monitor bigger than 20", so the last million pixels are a daft quest. Something that is small and light and no great faff to use.

Edit: I know Canons are good. I have a four year old Powershot SX100 and it takes great pictures. The macro facility is really good for close up stuff..down to a staggering few millimetres. The problem is that it's big and weighs 390 grams in a soft case. Not the kind of kit that you are inclined to use spontaneously.

Cyclist33

well you gotta be a bit choosy, sometimes the price is higher coz of build quality, which is important, sometimes its because the sensor is more modern, eg if you can get one with a CMOS not CCD sensor that would be better.

you might pay more and get faster focus which is vital with point n shoot.

i think ergonomics is most important myself. you need to try some for feel in your hands. if you cant get a steady hold of the camera you wont get good shots. its why i went with the samsung. it felt just right. for me.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
C33, I won't get "good shots" even if Hell freezes over. I'm after something that gets me in a frame of mind that makes me want to drag the wretched gadget out of my pocket......and take a picture....:smile:

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Panasonic Lumixes have decent lenses and are small and pretty simple and I have been very pleased with mine. However why not just as a feature on your smartphone. The Samsung Galaxy S2 that I have takes pretty decent pictures and gets the saturation and contrast bang-on, it just doesnt have an optical zoom.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Panasonic Lumixes have decent lenses and are small and pretty simple and I have been very pleased with mine. However why not just as a feature on your smartphone. The Samsung Galaxy S2 that I have takes pretty decent pictures and gets the saturation and contrast bang-on, it just doesnt have an optical zoom.
What is this "SmartPhone" of which you speak??????
Here's mine. Seriously, I am beyond help...
nokia.jpeg

I'm still trying to work out how to trash the random texts that come in, unread.

Top Bottom