Does anybody know what this is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm just curious what this bike is. It's on ebay but I've no intention of buying it, especially for the £175 they are asking.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1700.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm just curious what this bike is. It's on ebay but I've no intention of buying it, especially for the £175 they are asking.

View attachment 554678

View attachment 554679
It's a Claud Butler of some description, nice 531 frame if the sticker is to be believed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Im not entirely convicned its a CB at all. The don't look like the sort of lugs theyve ever used in any era, and the fork crown is wrong for a later Dalesman with cantis. I could be wrong, but that's my gut call,

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Whatever it is that's rather tasty. Reynolds 531ST, cantis and under BB cabling I'm guessing 70's.
Well given that people doubt the CB sticker on the front, I think someone should measure tube width and wall thickness before believing the 531ST sticker.

Gunk

Guru
Head tube decal would be at the halfway mark/position, with an accompanying set of Olympic Rings on the seat tube.

If genuine, it's from the 1960 mark.

They used a proper metal badge in the early 60’s.

This is my 1963 CB Super Coureur

However I also own a late 1960’s CB and that has a sticker instead.

Unless the owner can provide photos of the original frame before it was painted, I would be very wary about buying it, it could be anything underneath.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
That paintwork isn't from the 60's.
It's not uncommon to go with a printed version, if the metal badge has been damaged.

But, I'd have thought anyone doing a restoration, would have at least complemented the head tube decal with the seat tube one.

classic33

Leg End Member

This is my 1963 CB Super Coureur

View attachment 554816

However I also own a late 1960’s CB and that has a sticker instead.

Unless the owner can provide photos of the original frame before it was painted, I would be very wary about buying it, it could be anything underneath.
That'd be a Holdsworth built bike.

Top Bottom