Does anyone carry a rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have a look at the exposed surfaces of the break. Is the metal fresh or partly oxidized? If so the crack is old and a thorough examination during cleaning might have spotted the crack.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ok could you please tell me when to replace a rear mech the one that broke is over 10 years old and the one on my bike is older still
When we started are ride both where working perfectly there was no indication that one was going to break
So do you think I should replace my mech because its older but is working great
I've got rear mechs far older and they're fine, I'd only replace one if it was damaged or badly worn (not shifting cleanly) but I do service them regularly and grease the jockey wheels bushings.

Sharky

Guru
But surely if you were to be carrying a spare rear mech, you would have a chainsplitter and a spare chain as well anyway- after all chains fail more frequently than derailleurs
and if you are carrying a new chain, it probably won't work with the old cassette, so you need to carry a spare cassette and chain whip. And to make the job easier, it would be a good idea to carry a bike stand with you as well. :smile:

and if you are carrying a new chain, it probably won't work with the old cassette, so you need to carry a spare cassette and chain whip. And to make the job easier, it would be a good idea to carry a bike stand with you as well. :smile:
At that stage perhaps consider upgrading to a tandem and bring a mechanic along ^_^

OP asked about long tours in isolated spots. They're the kind of tours I'd consider upgrading my components before departure, especially if 10 years old and well used. It's good practise if nothing else.

Levo-Lon

Guru
When I got into mtb I carried loads of crap with me, Chris Bonnington effect..

Now I barely carry anything.
Tubeless tyres, so basic plug and gas for emergency, chain tool and a Allen key multi tool.
Phone:okay:

You can usually scavenge a rear mech from a local bike. The problem is getting it to work with your shifter. A spare rear DT friction shifter is a small, lightweight addition to spares that can solve a lot if problems.

OP
OP
D

Dirtyhanz2

At that stage perhaps consider upgrading to a tandem and bring a mechanic along ^_^

OP asked about long tours in isolated spots. They're the kind of tours I'd consider upgrading my components before departure, especially if 10 years old and well used. It's good practise if nothing else.
Yeah to a degree I agree with you but going out on long remote tour I would rather go out with equipment I have ridden for a while and have faith in as much as you can
Just as a side note these are the spare parts I tour uk with or less than a couple of weeks
2 inner tubes
Patch repair kit
Pedro's tyre leavers
Pedro's downhill tyer leaver for wife's bike tyres are horrible to get off
2 brake cables
2 gear cables
Pedro's hex set dont like multi tools dont find them good enough
Park chain breaker
Small spanner
Couple of screw drivers
Kmc chain
2 break blocks
Couple of spare spokes and spoke key
Spare nut and bolts cable ties couple of rags
Park tool tyre boot
Muc off oil
This is what's in my bag this afternoon
For longer or more remote tours I add
Pedal spanner
Cassette remover park fr5
Chain whip
Large spanner
Bottom bracket remover spare bottom bracket
New cassette and just inner ring from chainset
Extra set of break blocks and extra chain and an extra inner tube and a folding tyre
Depending we I am heading dry or wet lube
And I have just ordered a new rear mech

RobinS

Veteran
That's about three times as much as we carry between two of us for three month European tours - and we have never yet thought "I wish we had brought x spare, or x tool with us".

If I was cycling across Outer Mongolia I would still have less than that.

Ajax Bay

Guru
For a fortnight's UK tour I really would ditch the chain and carry a folding tyre instead. You'll have a very good idea how many km your chains have done already (and if too many, replace before tour) and chains can be assuredly bought in every bike shop. I'd carry a few spare links in case you have a real screw-up, to reinstate the chain and ride on. If a tyre sidewall fails you may be able to boot it to the nearest bike shop or you may not.
Besides mitigating the risk of a 'tyre fail' hazard, in the case of a puncture, a spare tyre allows you to replace tyre and tube at the same time, and find the cause in slower time at a subsequent stop in a more comfortable, safer (ie not roadside) place.
My comment on a pedal spanner (more remote tours) is that an 8mm allen key will remove properly serviced pedals (ie ones that have been off and on regularly with a dab of grease each time).
Spare cassette - only if more than 4000km between a decent bike shop or somewhere to arrange delivery ahead by post.

Tom B

Guru
We'll having read this I've just ordered a spare...... Drum roll...... Hanger.

Mines a bit odd ball and can be hard to find so probably handy to have with the bike. Ive smashed up many more of them catastrophically than I have rear mechs.

In fact in ten years I've got through more of most things. But when I'm away albeit as a car boot tourer I usually end up buying something.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We'll having read this I've just ordered a spare...... Drum roll...... Hanger.

Mines a bit odd ball and can be hard to find so probably handy to have with the bike. Ive smashed up many more of them catastrophically than I have rear mechs.

In fact in ten years I've got through more of most things. But when I'm away albeit as a car boot tourer I usually end up buying something.
We were scheduled to do LEJOG this May (or first tour) and replacement hangers were the only things we all agreed would be sensible to buy and take with us. Weighs next to nothing but if it fails it's a bit of a bugger. That's about it. Certainly not replacement, replacement brake blocks :laugh:

Tom B

Guru
Certainly not replacement, replacement brake blocks :laugh:

Maybe not replacement replacement brake shoes but one of my calipers has slightly oddball shoes that can be a faff to get.

So I might consider one set of replacement pads. Once almost wore through a set in two weeks of grotty weather in coastal Cornwall. But they weigh under 20g

Top Bottom