Does anyone commute race style?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I saw a trio of cyclists today. They went past in the opposite direction, but appeared to be on high spec bikes (I'm no expert, but they all had those snazzy deep rimmed race wheels on) They also had their arses 6 inches above their handlebars. (I'm a seat/handlebars at the same height kind of guy). They didn't appear to be going very fast, and I wonder if I (with over a year commuting 22 miles per day under my belt) would be able to take one of these weekend road riders? After all, I probably do more miles per week. I'm at the stage now where I can ride pretty darn fast for 10 miles without really getting exhausted, and I always seem to be going significantly faster than other commuters....although most commuters I see are on MBs/Town bikes.

I'd love to have a go on a 3 grand bike, just to see if there really is a significant difference over my sub 1/2 grand Allez. Is there?

fungus

Veteran
Not much, but they are nice
thumbsup.png

My quickest ride of the last year or so was a commute home from work on my heavy winter bike with a pannier bag I averaged 22mph over 19miles. I took the last 3miles nice & steady, total distance is 22miles. I think my fastest avg on my summer bike a Giant TCR2, ultegra, ksyrium ssc sl's was just over 19mph.

monnet

Guru
As the owner of an Allez elite (<1000k) and a Scott Addict (>2000k) I can say there is a massive difference. However, I would caveat that by saying I got myself very fit on the Allez before switching (lots of clubruns, chaingangs, the odd timetrial etc.). For me it was the first time I've spent big money on something that I could genuinely feel my ability allowed me to take advantage of. To explain - on the Allez, on the really fast bits of a chaingang (30mph+ on the flat at times) I would be all over the bike desperately trying to hold the group, I'd wrestle it to keep the speed in the corners. The first week on the Addict it was all so much easier (relatively) at high speed and I was not hanging on but able to move through the group and do my turn on the front (up to 20mph it made no difference - except on the climbs). It accelerates faster, corners better...I still love the Allez though!

As for beating the weekend warriors. If that's what they are, then you probably could. If they're serious riders on a recovery ride, then possibly not. O

I commute as light as possible, this includes a road bike with no rucksack/beam rack when I can help it (other than beginning and end of the week).

I used this throughout last winter too, but this year I have the fixed with full mudguards, even lighter still. No "puncture protection" tat to be had either.

@Fungus, why is your fastest commute average on a panniered up bike 22mph, but you cannot break the 20mph barrier on a TCR?

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Not much, but they are nice
thumbsup.png

My quickest ride of the last year or so was a commute home from work on my heavy winter bike with a pannier bag I averaged 22mph over 19miles. I took the last 3miles nice & steady, total distance is 22miles. I think my fastest avg on my summer bike a Giant TCR2, ultegra, ksyrium ssc sl's was just over 19mph.

22mph! Is that a rural commute? Off the top of my head I reckon there's at least 14 traffic lights, and 1/2 a dozen pedestrian Xings on my commute.....if they were all green (never gonna happen!) or I jumped reds (usually doesn't happen!) my ave speed would be up there.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
oh dear oh dear oh dear :tired:

get yourself out on a 70mile plus hilly ride with some real serious club cyclists and see how you do. truth is most of them could leave the average cyclist miles behind... if they wanted to.

like you, i thought i was fast... nope, im just average.

go do a time trial if you want to see how fast you really are. my first 10mile TT was 26m45sec. the winner was 21m58sec.

i ain't slow... but i ain't that fast either :huh:

GrasB

Veteran
I'd love to have a go on a 3 grand bike, just to see if there really is a significant difference over my sub 1/2 grand Allez. Is there?
It's a diminishing returns thing, it makes more difference on a rural commute than a urban one. There are certain changes which make significant changes, one is the jump from a city type bike to a road bike. Further to this the more aero you take your bike position the more you gain, go to a full near-TT aero position on a cheap road bike will make more of a difference than deep section aero rims etc. That said once you're there & you want more aero then you have to go that way. I picked up a set of 50mm 650c Planet-X rims & had them laced onto track hubs for my fixie, that was +0.25-0.5mph cruising speed on the flat just there, no where near the 1mph I gained from dropping my 'bars by 3.5" & going from a 30mm to -5mm layback seat post (effectively make the ST angle 78 deg iirc)

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

There are certain changes which make significant changes, one is the jump from a city type bike to a road bike. Further to this the more aero you take your bike position the more you gain, go to a full near-TT aero position on a cheap road bike will make more of a difference than deep section aero rims etc.

I have the bars as low as they go, and the seat is at the same height as the bars. When I ordered the bike, I intentionally went for a size higher than 'recommended'. I prefer a larger frame (also went a size up when I ordered my Dawes hybrid). The advantage being that it makes a super comfy/roomy commuter....the downside is that I only have the potential to raise the seat by a couple of inches before I'd struggle to reach the floor. TBH I've never actually tried raising the seat yet. Think I'll try it tomorrow and go for a quick blat.

gavintc

Guru
I have the bars as low as they go, and the seat is at the same height as the bars. When I ordered the bike, I intentionally went for a size higher than 'recommended'. I prefer a larger frame (also went a size up when I ordered my Dawes hybrid). The advantage being that it makes a super comfy/roomy commuter....the downside is that I only have the potential to raise the seat by a couple of inches before I'd struggle to reach the floor. TBH I've never actually tried raising the seat yet. Think I'll try it tomorrow and go for a quick blat.

The seat height has nothing to do with the distance to the ground, but distance to the pedals. You set your seat position based upon the efficient leg length.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

The seat height has nothing to do with the distance to the ground, but distance to the pedals. You set your seat position based upon the efficient leg length.

I could raise the seat fractionally, still have the right set up for the pedals, and get into a better 'tuck', but it's really comfy as it is, and comfy riding makes longer journeys easier. If I raised it as high as possible whilst still 'just' retaining good pedal position, it'd be a bit of a reach when stationary. As I say, I bought the bike for 99% commuting, so the lack of a super efficient tuck position is far outweighed by the comfort factor. I suspect that my next road bike will be a smaller, more extreme (and more expensive) machine......I'm saving up now for a new bike next Spring.

Ian123

Every ride for me is a race :biggrin:

Like you gb every time i commute its a race, especially if there's a target rider up ahead, "must catch up, must overtake".
By the way, excellent work on the weight loss, new to the site.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Like you gb every time i commute its a race, especially if there's a target rider up ahead, "must catch up, must overtake".
By the way, excellent work on the weight loss, new to the site.

Thanks Ian

I agree, always always push, always chase, always try and breakaway

I live for the thrill

Just went out for a climb, couldn't help but chase down all the "Summer Riders" was good fun.

Top Bottom