Does anyone do leg stretches before and after a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

Ride slow for the first mile or two. A nice easy gear and gradually bring your cadence up.
Stretch after a ride as the muscles are warmed up. You could do more damage by stretching when cold

vickster

Legendary Member
No and sometimes

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I can never be arsed with a foam roller, it requires quite a bit of space and to hold yourself up and actively do something, this is problematic because you can't really do it after a race (well you could, but you would look pretty bonkers rolling about on the HQ carpark floor and you are often too knackered to do it) and after hard training, I just can't be bothered. I occasionally massage my quads and calves and that's about it!

Ciar

Veteran
I usually do a bit after a commute, after 3-4 days back to back i make sure to do a bit more and foam roll, i have found to my own detriment what happens if i neglect stretching/foam rolling ;-)

I can never be arsed with a foam roller, it requires quite a bit of space and to hold yourself up and actively do something, this is problematic because you can't really do it after a race (well you could, but you would look pretty bonkers rolling about on the HQ carpark floor and you are often too knackered to do it) and after hard training, I just can't be bothered. I occasionally massage my quads and calves and that's about it!
Tut tut, I'll set dr_pink on you, longer and harder you work more you need to stretch. You know it Rob.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Tut tut, I'll set dr_pink on you, longer and harder you work more you need to stretch. You know it Rob.

Oh I know, especially since the inability to rotate my pelvis forward stops me getting as aero as I could be on my TT bike, it is just something that I forget about at the time or quite honestly, often just cba to do as it becomes one more thing on the list and my list is long.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Never used to, but then after loosing most of my leg muscle last year it became a 20 minute routine prior to and after any form of exercise, from a 0.5 mile walk (which was hard) to 5 mins on the trainer (arguably harder). Still in recovery now, and still maintain the same routine, though I tend to hold for less in each stretch as my muscles have improved.
Find I get pain if I go out 'cold', even though I spend the first mile or 2 spinning, so sometimes worth a few walks up and down the stairs immediately before getting on the bike. Also the reason I am still wearing winter longs on most of my rides.

screenman

Legendary Member
I need to stretch and roll more the older I get. 2,000mtr swim and 40k on the bike today means a few little aches tomorrow if I do not stretch a little tonight.

screenman

Legendary Member
2000 meter swim and I would need resucitating.^_^
I am only 58, my swimming partner does more and is 61, he has the benefit of having retired 12 years ago, whilst me being the muppet I am made a bad career choice and will likely have to work forever and more. Which is one of the reasons I like to stay fit.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

Get a stick (Massage Stick) - They fit in a kit bag are great!!

TravelStickUser.jpg

The-Stick-Horizontal.jpg

More info on : http://www.the-stick.co.uk/

I stretch all the time.. My work has a gym in it and we have Pilates, Yoga & Tai Chi classes run during lunchtimes.

Top Bottom