Does anyone here run their Cycle2work scheme?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
I'm trying to encourage my place to run the scheme and thought it might help if I offered to do the work.

Anyone here do it?

How much work is involved?

Chris Norton

depending on which one you choose. nothing, pretty much all done for you.

harly

Wish my place showed even the slightest interest in bike scheme they seem very anti bike , theres nowere to put your bike when you get to work and the manager constantly whinges about bikes in the corridors and clothes airing out in the changing rooms but wont do anything about it , weve tried umpteen times to get a scheme started but he shows no interest whatsoever pity really

OP
OP
HorTs

HorTs

Über Member
I think our place is on the verge of doing things for cyclists at the moment, we're growing and the carpark is filling up, more people want to cycle but we have few facilities.

I'm trying to encourage my place to run the scheme and thought it might help if I offered to do the work.

Anyone here do it?

How much work is involved?
Easy Peesy .... I run this scheme - info@bike2workscheme.co.uk for our firm. You just sign up as an employer, your emplyees sign up so they ahve access to the site as well. The employees finds a bike/equ they fancy, get a quotation from the bike shop which they enter onto the shemes web page. The scheme then emails you as the emplyer to let you know that has been done, you accept (or decline) the quote, download the invoice they produce, pay it and hey presto, they send the voucher direct to the employer (or bike shop if you prefer). Employer hands voucher to employee and off they go to get their bike. The admin is all done for you, they provide the 'contract' for the employee to sign as well. No Work at all, just got to make sure that the payments are then stopped from the employees wages BEFORE TAX & NI are taken into consideration. We are only a little firm (13 perople) but already we have 4 who have used this scheme, almost a third of us, with others interested in the near future.

HorT, having looked at this in my workplace there are various ways of doing it but getting it in place will require some careful negoiation with mangement around such issues such as who foots the bill for the bike (employer or a cost neutral method via 3rd party) and how easy it is to add a salary sacrifice deduction to employees in the payroll software and then to monitor the deductions taken. Sure it is easy to do this for one or two employees but monitoring hundreds can become a headache, especially trying to keep track of the deductions made.

You also need to consider wider issues such as will the be benefit be availble to contract staff. RE: 12 week agency worker regulations, what does the company need to provide in way of changing and washing facilities, lock ups etc.

To summarise, getting it up and running is easy peasy it is the other bits of red tape that need resolving which can often lead to employers dragging their heels.

Lincov

My husband gets this through his work, but is pretty unlikely to start cycling regularly. Does anyone know if it would be possible for him to buy me a bike with the scheme? I.e. are there certain conditions you have to fulfil?

My husband gets this through his work, but is pretty unlikely to start cycling regularly. Does anyone know if it would be possible for him to buy me a bike with the scheme? I.e. are there certain conditions you have to fulfil?

The scheme is designed to get you to cycle 2 work rather than go by other means but in reality it is up for debate how or if HMRC can even prove that a bike is used for commuting!

Unless your husbands employer stipulates that it must be used x % for commuting than I reckon you could get away with it. Don't forget most schemes go beyond the bike and include items required to get you to work safely so lights, jackets and panniers etc can be bought through cycle to work.

In terms of working out savings don't forgot to account for the final payment after the end of the hire payment as this will impact on your saving of 32% for basic rate or 42% for higher.

Chris Norton

The theory is that you should use the bike for about 50% of your journeys to work. So really suited for the commuter bikes.

Top Bottom