Does anyone know anything about Midas...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drissa

Regular
I'm interested in this frame for a self-buildproject (right size and OLN, 531 tubing). But I can't find any info on Midas. Would you expect this to be in the same quality ballpark as the better know 70s/80s 531 frames?

sittingbull

Veteran
Can't help with Midas but 531c (competition) tubing is more desirable and generally commands a premium price compared to standard 531. I would think (hope?) anyone using 531c tubing would be building to a high standard. Ironically, the replies here may influence bidding.

OP
OP
drissa

drissa

Regular
Thanks, I just contacted the seller - apparently, there was a typo and the seat post is 60mm, not 60cm (the bike is 'actual size' in the photos). Plus, it can only be collected from the leper colony where he lives. Seems like it's probably not worth bidding on after all...

OP
OP
drissa

drissa

Regular
I just visited a bike shop and a staff member there felt strongly that 531 tubing was not to be used... too much flex and prone to breaking. I see that 531c is 'extra light' and officially recommended for 'racing or sport touring'. I'm hoping to put an Alfine hub in, so I assume this would create more pressure on the chain stay?

Does anyone have any views on this? Any evidence that it's not reliable tubing for general cycling? Am I worrying about nothing? I'm probably about 13.5 stone and, after a cheap aluminium frame, the flex appeals to me. But I don't want to put in lots of effort to build a bike which will snap!

>>I should also add that I plan to have a pannier rack on the back, not for 'touring' as such but heavy shopping...

Last edited:
Top Bottom