Does anyone know what tricycle this is ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kino451

Über Member
Hi .. I have very little information about this tricycle pictured below , comments appreciated ?
5jy81c.jpg
[/IMG]
ftlrur.jpg
[/IMG]
29ft2ys.jpg
[/IMG]

After some intense research and careful consideration I can confirm without doubt that your tricycle is indeed, an old one :tongue:

Sorry couldn't resist, hope you find the info you need though.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
After doing even more intense research than smokeysmoo :whistle: I can also confirm that it definitely is an old trike!

However, I couldn't let it go at that, so I did another 20, maybe even 30 seconds of research and discovered that the trike in question looks like a 1901 Rudge-Whitworth No 31 Special Lady’s Tricycle.

1901_Rudge_Tricycle_01_zpseed33a5b.jpg

Assuming it's the same bike (looks identical) then there are plenty of references to it on t'web. Looks like it could be worth a bob or 2 if it was renovated.

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1900-1904/1901-no-31-special-ladys-tricycle/1901_rudge_tricycle_01/

http://oldbike.wordpress.com/1900-rudge-whitworth-tricycle-21/

Phew, I need a sit down after that!

Carl.

Last edited:
U

User42423

Hi .. I have very little information about this tricycle pictured below , comments appreciated ?
5jy81c.jpg
[/IMG]
ftlrur.jpg
[/IMG]
29ft2ys.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi. Several points arise here. 1) what make is the rear axle?. 2) what size tyres?. 3) do you have a better image of fork crown. 4) is there any stamping on the chain-set.

The cottered bottom bracket would suggest pre-1915. Quite a few companies were building tricycles pre WW1.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi. I'm glad you've successfully identified it.
Only a year late though! I went by the post above mine. Without checking the date.

U

User42423

5jy81c.jpg
[/IMG]
ftlrur.jpg
[/IMG]
29ft2ys.jpg
[/IMG]

Thought you might like to see this. It's an original page from the Rudge catalogue (1901).

002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom