Does anyone own/use this tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Mountain Hardware Optic 2.5
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/just-in---mhw-optic-25-tent/12711.html
27674.jpg

If so, what's it like?

cnb

Veteran
I had a geek at one of those in Cotswold Outdoor..They were/are selling it at a knock down price..I was looking for a lightweight(ish) tent and thought that this might fit the bill..A couple of things put me off it..That big door which would give good views on a nice sunny day would let rain fall straight into the inner also the inner doors roll up to open them and need to be fastened at the top..Not a big problem really but it would get on my wick:blush:...The tent is also quite high with an unsupported back panel and i think it would catch the wind..But apart from that it looks ok and any reviews that i found about it were positive... Not much help but its a start..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
since buying a cheap tent with two doors, I'll never go back to a tent with only one door... the through draft they provide is essential on summer mornings if you don't want to get out of bed/bag.

andym

Über Member
I would look carefully at the plans - particularly how much headroom you get towards the ends. Ideally get in one and try sitting up and putting on or taking off a jumper.

There are a bunch of video reviews on youtube and if you can't get in the tent and crawl around, watching someone else in the tent crawling around is the next best thing.

Mountain Hardwear do decent gear. This tent isn't particularly light or particuarly cheap (unless you can find it discounted or on sale).

The extra door is, I guess, potentially useful if the other zip fails, but otherwise it seems like a bit of a gimmick - although it would be useful if you are somewhere that's very hot and sunny and you didn't manage to get a pitch in the shade or near a tree.

I don't know, it comes down to personal preference, and maybe it's because getting flies or mosquitoes in my tent is such a pain, but if I want to enjoy the fresh air and the panoramic views I get out of the tent and sit in the fresh air and enjoy the uninterrupted panoramic views. The idea of sitting in my tent gazing out just seems a bit weird - but each to their own.

Last edited:

cnb

Veteran
There is plenty of headroom in the tent as its quite high..Another issue with the inner doors are that if you close them because of bugs then you lose the view..I prefer tents with doors that are backed with midge proof net, so at least you can look out..Cotswold were selling this model at £120..

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Forgive my negativity but it looks like there's no porch. Where would you put wet gear or, importantly, set a stove up in the cold or rain? I frequently cook breakfast without leaving my sleeping bag. Yeah, I know ... I'm a slob!
I've had Mountain Hardwear tent in the past, which had no porch. Bear in mind they're designed with warm Stateside summers in mind. I soon got rid of mine.
Good luck with the search.
Geoff

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Forgive my negativity but it looks like there's no porch. Where would you put wet gear or, importantly, set a stove up in the cold or rain? I frequently cook breakfast without leaving my sleeping bag. Yeah, I know ... I'm a slob!
I've had Mountain Hardwear tent in the past, which had no porch. Bear in mind they're designed with warm Stateside summers in mind. I soon got rid of mine.
Good luck with the search.
Geoff
Hmm. the hydrostatic head in not that great either (only 1000mm I think). I agree that it does look like it's been designed for Nevada desert camping.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I use one o' these:
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/superlite-voyager-tent/
IMHO Terra Nova make superb tents. This will stand the foulest of weather and this one's a good combination of room, weight and price. Not cheap but, then again, not the most expensive either. Bin using Terra Novas for yonks in all conditions, including high mountains. HIGHLY recommended.

Top Bottom