Does anyone use ‘Telegram’ ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s an alternative messaging app similar to WhatsApp. Is it really safe? Just interested, someone has asked me to message them on it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
It’s an alternative messaging app similar to WhatsApp. Is it really safe? Just interested, someone has asked me to message them on it.

It’s regarded as being a lot more secure than the usual messaging apps. I have it installed but it’s the usual issue of ( comparatively) few people using it. WhatsApp has end to end encryption but many people are wary of it, being owned by Facebook/ Meta.

From what I have read about it a lot of right wing and other dodgy groups like to use it BECAUSE it is more secure

It is just that some of the people who use it are doing so because they don;t want anyone to see what they are saying for dodgy reasons
but that doesn;t make the platform dodgy

si_c

Guru
I use telegram and have done for years, it's secure enough for most things and has the valuable benefit of not being owned by any of the major data harvesting organisations. I don't use Whatsapp for that reason.

Set your privacy settings properly and you won't get any spam or other unwanted communications and you should be absolutely fine.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the replies. There seems to be a divergence of option and info on the net. It's owned by a Russian (might worry some) and it's servers are based in the Netherlands.
Don't know if this is important:
'While all Telegram messages are encrypted, they're only encrypted while in transit from your device to Telegram's servers. Once your data arrives on Telegram servers, it's decrypted and could be seen by Telegram'.
Another app 'Signal' is claimed by many to be more secure.
Never thought to question if WhatsApp is secure it's predeliction for harvesting data is well known.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thanks for all the replies. There seems to be a divergence of option and info on the net. It's owned by a Russian (might worry some) and it's servers are based in the Netherlands.
Don't know if this is important:
'While all Telegram messages are encrypted, they're only encrypted while in transit from your device to Telegram's servers. Once your data arrives on Telegram servers, it's decrypted and could be seen by Telegram'.
Another app 'Signal' is claimed by many to be more secure.
Never thought to question if WhatsApp is secure it's predeliction for harvesting data is well known.

Mea Culpa,
Signal is the app that I have, not Telegram, it’s easy to get confused when you get to my age 😉

We use Signal for work. It's the only messaging service with the (Dutch) government's approval, although my department tends to use it to pass on birthday wishes and inform each other that we're working from home today. Telegram is far lower down the pecking order and WhatsApp is a total no-no.

Signal is indeed better in absolute security terms. Again, what is your threat model? Consider whether you think anyone is going to try to read your messages by a) hacking Telegram's servers, b) forcing Telegram to hand over your conversations. If 'No', then it's secure enough.

I use both. The practical benefit of Telegram is that you don't have to install it on a phone (though you do need a number for registration). Signal requires that you install a mobile phone application in order to use the desktop application, which some people, e.g. me, find annoying / inconvenient.

Been going a while I hear?
TitanicTelegram.jpeg.jpg

The practical benefit of Telegram is that you don't have to install it on a phone (though you do need a number for registration). Signal requires that you install a mobile phone application in order to use the desktop application, which some people, e.g. me, find annoying / inconvenient.
Are you sure about this? Did you register recently?
Everything I can find says you need to install the smartphone app to register.

Top Bottom