Does clipless put more pressure on your Quads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyler78

Does going clipless put more strain on your quads?

Ever since going clipless a couple of weeks ago I have noticed that my quads are a lot more tired than they normally would and even when cycling I can feel more pressure on this part of legs.

Am I going to look like Arnie on Steroids ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It does make ya muscles more efficient, so should be better for you in the long run.

but have you considered that your saddle might need coming down a bit?

Steve Austin said:
It does make ya muscles more efficient, so should be better for you in the long run.

I was going to say up. I started with mine too high and that hurt my hamstrings and once lowered my right quad took more strain until I'd got the fore aft position right on that side but I agree with Steve about it being saddle height related.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's probably because you are using the muscles more efficiently, or putting in more effort...don't worry....

Just make sure you have the height right and the foot angle - i.e. more prone to knee trouble if you don't.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Steve Austin said:

Why down? I put it up as I thought the higher foot position from the spd mech and thicker shoe meant I was closer to the saddle so I thought that meant I should raise it if I was to achieve the same knee bend as before.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Very quick replies and thanks. Looks like not too much to worry about just keep tweaking. Cackle fore/aft positioning is something that I have been spending most of my time tweaking as I have foot shorter than the other so getting it right is taking time however I'm getting there.

Guess if you keep something in a more constant position then the pressure will fall in a more constant position. I guess with riding platforms my foot moved around a lot more therefore pressure never built up in the quads quite as easily.

OP
OP
D

doyler78

Thanks Cackle - that's an interesting read. Definitely plenty of things that affect how well you get on with clipless. Just a process of elimination although I do have my visit with the sports physio next Thursday which hopefully start to deal with the many issues I have with my feet, knees and ankles however I have a got lot further towards comfort than I have ever done so before. I now don't use the platforms at all.

Getting there just glad the quads things isn't likely to be anything else too much to worry about.

stevenb

Interesting indeed.
My right hamstring is aching...although it's the 1st time since Ive owned my felt and Ive had clipless from day 1 anyway...so possibly related to something else. I do know that the heel on my right foot naturally swings inwards towards the crank more than my left foot.....so I have adjusted my cleats to accomodate this...but might need to do a little more.
My knees don't ache though...behind or in front.
I've been thinking about this a lot while cycling lately....and how much more efficient mu overall performance could be affected.
Hopefully my hamstring strain will pass.

Top Bottom