does everyone fall apart at 40?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

If you lot have started to fall apart by 40 what chance have those of us in our 60's got. When I was in my 40's I was in the best shape ever, its only in the last 5 years that health problems have arose, most of them recently and I suspect most due to fair wear and tear.

wanda2010

Guru
Those in their 60s are there to show us the way before we get to our 60s (I hope that makes sense to someone :wacko:) .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've never suffered from asthma but I got a very nasty taste of what an asthma attack must feel like when my lungs virtually packed up due to my illness this summer - absolutely horrific - so I feel very sorry for those of you who suffer from it! There definitely seems to be more asthma about now. I can hardly remember anybody suffering from it when I was young, but about 10% of the people I know now seem to be sufferers.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
56 a fortnight back.

Dodgy thyroid - being sorted.

Trigger finger on right hand - remnant of an old climbing accident.

When descending mountains my knees are not the shock absorbers they used to be.

Cuts take quite a while to heal.

I have a variety of glasses for different situations as well as contact lenses.

However, I can still churn out long mountain days and more importantly I am at peace with myself.

colly

Re member eR
Turning 40 for me made not a jot of difference. I felt no discernible changes between 40 and 50.
OK I grew a few grey hairs and my fizog acquired some 'character', but physically I felt pretty good. I took up cycling early in my 40's and I'm sure that helped.
Turning 50 seemed no big deal either to be honest but as time passed I noticed that the rigours of the daily grind would have more of an effect. Just general tiredness which, seeing as my job can be quite physical at times, was no real surprise.
I turned 60 just over a year ago and I am very fortunate that I am in disgustingly good health. No undue aches and pains and everything seems to be functioning as it should. (Touching as much wood as I can get my hands on)
I find I get tired more rapidly and I also find I work at a slower pace.
I eat 'sensibly' but by no means do I stint on stuff I enjoy and exercise probably more than most people of my age. But nowhere near as much as I would like.
Maybe because I have always had to be active for work it means I continue to be active. I still have to lift and carry and again because I've done it for so many years it seems no big deal.

The luck of the draw with regards to genetics must play a big part though.

There's no way to predict what may be over the horizon of course, medical tests aside, and I wonder sometimes if being in ignorance is no bad thing

So eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Aged 40 I joined Audax UK and rode my first 300km, 400km and 600km events. The reason being that I'd taken on a partner in business and therefore had leisure time. Two years later I rode my first 1200km. 20yrs later I'm still going reasonably well - planning another 24hr next year.
I've learnt that a good sports physio is worth paying for, and that it's possible to recover from seemingly game-changing injuries.

lulubel

Über Member
I am used to the cold, don't generally have the heating on even during the winter and am rarely known for shutting windows. the joke about do you live in a barn and open doors, sort of applies - it is a converted stable block and we never shut windows. I consider closing the bedroom window if it gets down to -10C, but the truth is, out an about in the countryside, I am far less allergic to what is around me than in a house/city etc and sleep better in a cold tent with a down sleeping bag and down filled mat, than I do in a house in a bed. for me the worst thing I can do is stay in a hotel/B&B. I have to have windows open, have to stay away from smellies. I also don't worry about how slow I am and I know when to say we have to stay put for the day. There are several days in my journal where the entry just says "today did not happen" or something similar. That invariably means I was too exhausted and my reduced adreanal gland issues or my asthma had kicked in and we stayed put to play it safe.

That just shows how personal asthma is. My asthma is best when it's hot and dry. I think I could stop my meds altogether if I spent long enough in the Canary Islands. Hot and humid is OK. My mother was worried about me when we went to Florida in my late teens because damp air has always bothered me, but I was absolutely fine. Same here in the summer. The heat and humidity exhausts me (same as everyone) but it doesn't make my asthma worse.

Cold air hits my lungs and initially leaves me struggling for breath, although that does settle down after the initial shock. If it's very cold (and for me that's more than a couple of degrees below freezing) I start to dry cough, and it doesn't stop until I get in the warm. Damp and cold is worst for me. Our first winter here was the wettest for 60 years, and my chest rattled constantly for about 3 months, and I could barely walk up the stairs, never mind cycle.

I have ideas of relocating to Bulgaria in the future, and winters there are bitterly cold. I've just bought a very thin buff to experiment with when the air's cold. Usually, putting anything over my nose and mouth makes me feel like I'm suffocating (which is obviously purely psychological), so I'm going to try and get myself used to it because I think it's the only way I could manage to live in a cold climate.

I was told when I was a kid that feathers and down made my asthma worse, and I was only allowed synthetic pillows and duvet. Once I was old enough to make the choice to change over to feather, my asthma actually improved, and I now sleep with feather pillows, and a great big, fluffy feather and down duvet.

Regretfully, singulair is one of the meds I am going to have to see my GP about. some of the generic versions contain a variant of lactose in it that I am very allergic to and apparently Singular comes off patent at the end of this month and my prescription says 'monetlukast' rather than 'singulair'. the brand singulair seems OK, as does some of the generic ones, but I have very recently reacted badly to the italian generic montelukast - mild anaphalatic shock from the dairy in it! Why anyone would put a dairy product in asthma medication is beyond me, but there we go.

That's utterly ridiculous. I thought it was fairly common knowledge that intolerance (if not outright allergy) to dairy is very common in asthmatics. Mine is an intolerance, and it isn't severe enough to stop me eating some cheese and yoghurt, but I do stay away from cow's milk. I think my problem is milk protein rather than lactose because I'm not good with whey protein isolate either.

since the coritisol issues from too much inhaled steriods, ironically keeping weight on is the issue rather than loosing it.

That's interesting. Could you elaborate a little on this? Is it to do with your reduced adrenal gland function?

The reason I ask is because my OH is amazed at the amount I manage to eat without gaining weight. I did no exercise at all until about 6-7 years ago, and was officially obese, so I joined a weight loss site that counts calories for you, and got down to a healthy weight through sensible eating and exercise. The only thing was, once I went onto their "maintenance" setting, I continued to lose around 1-2lb a month. I've stopped following the system now - I just try to be sensible with what I eat, and my weight has stabilised - but I found it very hard to give up something that I relied on for so long, and that has done me so much good in terms of getting healthy and fit. I always assumed the amount of calories I can consume without gaining weight was due to me having a high muscle percentage (I exercised hard while I was losing weight, with the deliberate intention of minimising muscle loss), but I'm starting to wonder now.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just coming up on 44 and I'm bigger, fitter, faster, stronger than ever before. Like meeting any challenge, age is in the mind, and ft you approach the subject with such doubts and thoughts you've limits before you begin.

You WILL lose that weight. You WILL ride that 15 miles in sub-60. You WILL beat yesterday's commute time. And you damn well keep going back until you do.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
That's interesting. Could you elaborate a little on this? Is it to do with your reduced adrenal gland function?

The reason I ask is because my OH is amazed at the amount I manage to eat without gaining weight. I did no exercise at all until about 6-7 years ago, and was officially obese, so I joined a weight loss site that counts calories for you, and got down to a healthy weight through sensible eating and exercise. The only thing was, once I went onto their "maintenance" setting, I continued to lose around 1-2lb a month. I've stopped following the system now - I just try to be sensible with what I eat, and my weight has stabilised - but I found it very hard to give up something that I relied on for so long, and that has done me so much good in terms of getting healthy and fit. I always assumed the amount of calories I can consume without gaining weight was due to me having a high muscle percentage (I exercised hard while I was losing weight, with the deliberate intention of minimising muscle loss), but I'm starting to wonder now.

I take the equivalent of 20 doses a day of Beclomethasone 100mcg. So the dark brown inhaler that used to be called becotide 100, but when CFC's came out of the inhalers changed - no idea to what because I was already on the 250mcg version of it - so dark red rather than dark brown. It's a lot, both my GPs and I know it is a lot but it is all the really controls it unfortuantely. the result is that they beleive the inhaled steriods have affected my own natural steriod production in my body lowering it which in turn means I don't get what I need from what I eat - therefore eating more to compensate but not putting the weight on. I also struggle to develope muscle as well.

lulubel

Über Member
I take the equivalent of 20 doses a day of Beclomethasone 100mcg. So the dark brown inhaler that used to be called becotide 100, but when CFC's came out of the inhalers changed - no idea to what because I was already on the 250mcg version of it - so dark red rather than dark brown. It's a lot, both my GPs and I know it is a lot but it is all the really controls it unfortuantely. the result is that they beleive the inhaled steriods have affected my own natural steriod production in my body lowering it which in turn means I don't get what I need from what I eat - therefore eating more to compensate but not putting the weight on. I also struggle to develope muscle as well.

I take around a quarter to half that - 500mcg is my standard dose, but I double it as soon as I see we have a prolonged spell of wet weather forecast, or at the first sign of a sore throat, or if my OH gets a cold (fortunately, we don't get ill very often here). I wonder if it's cumulative, though. I've been on what would be considered a moderately high dose for about 35 years, I think.

There are a wide variety of brand names in the UK. I had my favourites, and generally nagged my doctor to prescribe one of those rather than generic. It's still called Becotide here in Spain.

I'll have to do a bit of research, and either reassure myself or not! If I do have a reduction in natural steroid production, it's minor at the moment, but I assume these things tend to get worse over time.

C7KEN

Über Member
When I was young and up until age 50 I was considered very fit, after 50 a slight slow down until the heart attack and open heart surgery at 60 then no biking for almost ten years until I started again in January this year. After taking statins for ten years my muscles were sore and shot and only determination kept me going and keeping up with a group whe are 20 to 30 years younger than me. However I came off the statins 3 months ago and last week had a blood test that showed my cholestrol level to be well in the good range. 10 years ago it was 10.6 .good is 5 or under. The only changes I have made is to restart cycling, change from butter to pro active, drink skimmed milk, consume less mayonaise. I have also shed 5 kilo's and feel like a new man. I make sure to ride approx 200km's each week with a longer ride each Wed with the other guys. We don't avoid hills we deliberately incorporate them in the routes . So I don't feel like i've fallen apart at 70 . I am absolutely delighted at the way things have worked out.

D

Deleted member 1258

When I was young and up until age 50 I was considered very fit, after 50 a slight slow down until the heart attack and open heart surgery at 60 then no biking for almost ten years until I started again in January this year. After taking statins for ten years my muscles were sore and shot and only determination kept me going and keeping up with a group whe are 20 to 30 years younger than me. However I came off the statins 3 months ago and last week had a blood test that showed my cholestrol level to be well in the good range. 10 years ago it was 10.6 .good is 5 or under. The only changes I have made is to restart cycling, change from butter to pro active, drink skimmed milk, consume less mayonaise. I have also shed 5 kilo's and feel like a new man. I make sure to ride approx 200km's each week with a longer ride each Wed with the other guys. We don't avoid hills we deliberately incorporate them in the routes . So I don't feel like i've fallen apart at 70 . I am absolutely delighted at the way things have worked out.

Superb effort

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I changed my lifestyle on my 40th birthday as I was very unfit. The big one was quit smoking and sold the car to finance my return to cycling. With the advent of the internet and websites and forums I have gained a great wealth of knowledge about training diet and supplimentation. Next month I will be 53 and feel fitter than I was at fourty. I only find that my human battery tires quicker than it did when I was younger which I suppose is natural. I only suffer aches and pains after a heavy day at work....

Top Bottom