Does high viz make you safer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
In my unscientific study of 1 person's riding -
Hi-viz + helmet = experience cyclist = someone can be passed more closely = more likely for a minor problem to escalate into a collision
:sad:

Do enough to be clearly visible if being looked for e.g. two decent lights at night (incase one gives up) front & rear, large blocks of colour & no replica team kit. Ride on the road a decent distance out from the kerb.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
What does it define as a 'conspicuity aid'? Have they been used appropriately in all the cases considered? What user data was sought from both groups? Interesting, but possibly incomplete.

Origamist

Legendary Member
What does it define as a 'conspicuity aid'? Have they been used appropriately in all the cases considered? What user data was sought from both groups? Interesting, but possibly incomplete.

"....any item of fluorescent or reflective materials on their clothing or equipment (excluding bicycle mounted reflectors"

In my unscientific study of 1 person's riding -
Hi-viz + helmet = experience cyclist = someone can be passed more closely = more likely for a minor problem to escalate into a collision
:sad:

Do enough to be clearly visible if being looked for e.g. two decent lights at night (incase one gives up), large blocks of colour & no replica team kit. Ride on the road a decent distance out from the kerb.

But backed up my the DfT who came to the same conclusion

Drago

Legendary Member
That's not terribly clear though, is it? I've got 'fluorescent' T shirts that just happen to be the same shade and colour, but aren't intended as such aids. Would they be.considered?

And the other point. What if someone is wearing a florrie but shoves a rucksack over it. They're still wearing it but have effectively negated and usefulness from the rear view, yet there is no mention of how correctly or appropriately such aids were deployed in the cases considered for the research.

Drago

Legendary Member
You're the person urging us to use cycle paths as a safer alternative, so the moral duty is incumbent upon you to provide the evidence when queried, not me.

It's a tarmac equivalent of a pro helmet urging.

Origamist

Legendary Member
That's not terribly clear though, is it? I've got 'fluorescent' T shirts that just happen to be the same shade and colour, but aren't intended as such aids. Would they be.considered?

And the other point. What if someone is wearing a florrie but shoves a rucksack over it. They're still wearing it but have effectively negated and usefulness from the rear view, yet there is no mention of how correctly or appropriately such aids were deployed in the cases considered for the research.

Yes. They are fluorescent T-shirts!

Also the thesis is clear that it does not rate the relative performance of conspicuity aids.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Unfortunately NOTHING will protect you from the motorist that is texting or talking on his mobile phone ,

Something might. That's why you need to do studies. Not all drivers are texting all the time you know.

Staying safe and using Cycle paths help where possible and twin lights front and rear give the illusion of a vehicle from a distance

My bike is a vehicle. I don't want to disguise it, I just want people to be aware of it. And I don't really agree about cycle paths, at least not the one next to the dual carriageway on which I commute.

Accidents Happen ,We KNOW the risks are greater at night in the winter , What ever you do helps , I am not saying just use cycle paths or stay off main roads

I personally ride where I find it safer , Studies don't stop accidents , I personally don't need to do any studies .
With over 50 years as a road user I know the risks .. Teaching awareness to road users helps

Common sense makes the difference and many cyclists and motorist lack it sometimes , i am a motorist and cyclist and all road users are sometimes guilty of doing silly things .

I ride a trike and I use 2 front and rear lights at the outside of the trike both at the front and rear it looks like a "solid " vehicle

Sadly Cyclists will always be vulnerable unless they ride on a magic carpet

Top Bottom