does Japan even have a chance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

I hear that Tokyo have bid to hold the prologue of the TdF after London's success, and are willing to hold a night race to keep within French time.
I very much doubt it will even make it there and will be laughed off by the UCI/ASO.

Anyone think they've even got a sniff of hope?

andygates

You've got to admit, a deep-urban Tokyo crit would make a very visual event! I'd have thought the jetlag would be the killer, though.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I hope not. I think it should be in France only really. You can just make a case for excursions into Spain, Italy etc to add a few otherwise unreachable climbs nearby but I'd draw the line there.

Hey on second thoughts we could maybe run the Tour of Britain in France:biggrin:

OP
OP
walker

walker

It has been said by Prudhomme that jet lag and the fact if they did do it at night that visability would be a huge minimal to make it safe enough

mondobongo

Über Member
Tokyo Nocturne would make good viewing probably but don't think that the riders would be too keen on the transfer times or the jetlag. Back to the drawing board for that one me thinks.

Dave5N

Über Member
walker said:
I hear that Tokyo have bid to hold the prologue of the TdF after London's success, and are willing to hold a night race to keep within French time.
I very much doubt it will even make it there and will be laughed off by the UCI/ASO.

Anyone think they've even got a sniff of hope?
#

Hope so. Sounds great.

RichP - the tradition is an out-of-country start on alternate years, I think.

Incidentally, If it makes your life easier, maybe factor the UCI out of your complex computations

Aint Skeered

I could see it happening.
After all, the Yen is mightier than the sword!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Didn't New York once bid for the Grand Départ and didn't ASO itself once suggest that some French colony be given the honour but the ideas were kiboshed by practicalities?

stevenb

As appealing as it sounds I don't think it'd be right for the event.
It's great for publicity and tourists but how can they even justify the logistics of it all?
At least the UK is only a couple of hours away from France with no jet-lag symptoms invovled.

CotterPin

I don't know much about these things but is this not where the whole UCI ProTour idea came from? We can't all have the premier cycling event in our country so there needs to be a range of worldwide events at which top level cyclists raced.

Unfortunately the whole thing got mired in controversy - others here will probably know more about its problems. In my opinion we have a top heavy sport - there is one hugely successful event which skews everything else.

As a result everyone wants a piece of the TdF action as there is no other show in town.

Best wishes

Stephen

OP
OP
walker

walker

Sort of Steve.

The UCI are trying to break away from ASO's TdF being the only cycle race in the world, and recently have been trying to make cycling a global Sport so are making races outside of Europe.

I think they should hold a race accross the world IMHO, starting in Say Paris then going once around the globe, but having stages no longer than 100 miles at a time. it might mean longer transfers but considering each country that would want a part of it the prize money would be huge

Keith Oates

Janner
Walker, the cycling would not be a problem with that idea but the time and hassle would come from trying to clear immigration and customs with the bikes in each country. Believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
walker

walker

then who ever gives the UCI gip then don't hold it there.
If possible there might have to be more stages in your China And Russia. They could even do one in Mexico called race to the boarder

Top Bottom